The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
M S Smith

Pruning Mitragyna speciosa

Winter is coming on quickly here in the US and I'm going to have to bring this indoors soon, but wanted to make it a bit more manageable. Any tips on pruning specific to Mitragyna speciosa, or just prune like any other old plant? Will tip clippings root in water, or should I root in perlite?

post-19-0-89495900-1411425600_thumb.jpg

~Michael~

• Like 1

In an galaxy far far away the ewoks learnt that warmth was the key to vegetative propagation of this species. They also discovered that a medium other than water was helpful in ensuring that cuttings succeeded.

And then came the Howard/Abbott/Brandisians and smashed the poor ewoks to smithereens.

• Like 5

Beautiful plant! thats about all the help I have for today

I've heard that it's best to prune with your teeth.

• Like 1

does anyone else know how to strike cuttings of this plant?

length?

soft fresh growth or is it better to have some thats starting to get a bit firm?

medium?

any help would be much appreciated a friend in the US needs some tips.

• Like 1

Take cuttings from branches that have vigorous new growth. They root well in sphagnun and rockwool. I'm guessing perlite/vermiculite would also work well, but haven't tried. As mentioned, warmth (and humidity) are critical for rooting. For that reason, it is usually much easier to root in warmer months. Don't expose cuttings to wide temperature or humidity swings.

• Like 3

As far as I remember,, it's an actively growing branch/shoot/tip, sliced thru the node at an ~45° angle with at least 2-3 nodes, perlite and seed raising mix (or good aerated soil or rockwool), consistent warmth above 25°, humidity with fae, filtered light and occasional misting. An indoor set up would be great in the cooler months.

• Like 1