The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mystical oyster

argemone mexicana

Hi! I hope this is the right place to post this and hope im not breaking any rules.

Today i found some A. Mexicana, i want some info on firstly legality, second, extract methods. I boiled a bunch of leaf down and evaporated it down to a browny black substance, burnt it a little. Oops! If its legal id like input on extract methods to get the goods. Ive done some looking and cant find much info on it. So any and all input about this plant would be much appreciated. Ill show a couple photos tomorrow. Thank you

It's legal.

You can lance them and collect the yellow lactose that exudes. Painstaking but effective.

If your going to boil or use some other extraction method be sure to remove ALL seeds first as they contain some nasties..

Not a big fan of argemone(just my personal opinion). Lots of work and for me the effect can be quite dark.

Edited by katu

Thanks katu!

I did a boil, ended up with an oily tar like resin.

I removed all seed pods and flowers.

But from what i gather people have effectively used the seeds but they do contain Sanguinarine and dehydrosanguinarine so much caution must be taken. It seems a little is ok but it has an accumalative effect in the body.

Also there are many medical benefits but i have not done much research.

So a boil should be fine? I used high heat and accidentally burnt it a little. But heat doesnt effect the alkaloids?

There isnt much info on the plant, and i think there should be more so that researchers can act safely.

Thanks

I did pretty much the same a PH's tek but with some vinagar added. Not sure if it helps, sure doesn't help the flavour any :unsure: .

The best method for a smokable product(for me) was lancing, letting the lactose dry a bit then rubbing off the plant with damiana or something similar. Tedious work but u end up with a nice product. More effective than the resin from a boil.(My opinion once again)

I've heard of people smoking the seeds but never tried myself.

There's shit loads of the suckers up our way at the moment bro! I've got some pretty funny looks from peeps standing on the side of the road secauters in hand :) . Fckn spikey bastards yeah!

Edited by katu
  • Like 1

Thanks prioritise! And thanks katu! Ive been keeping my eyes open for it, found a couple plants at work then hit a big patch near tinaroo. Ill go back out when i have the time and try the lance method, sounds tedious alright but ill give it a try. I man handled the plants yesterday after a few beers, and woke up with the sorest hands this morning. Them spines are brutal!

Saw a big patch on my way over Tolga the other day. Bit over Kairi. Anywhere where the lands been disturbed. On the edge of paddocs etc.

Best to stay away from roads with any fair amount of traffic. They're perfectly legal, your not breaking any laws harvesting them but I reckon if the cops drove past they'd pull over just cause. Might take some convincing they're legal "poppies"? Same goes with the farmers as most of it is on the edge of their land. I reckon ya doing a public service myself, they're pretty nasty weeds. I've got a mate up here who works in construction. Whenever he goes picking argemone he parks the ute, chucks on his high vis and a wide brimmed straw hat. Reckon no one looks at him sideways, assumes he's a council worker :innocent_n: .

• Like 1

...letting the lactose dry a bit then rubbing off the plant with...

I think you mean latex? Lactose comes from cow milk :P

• Like 1