The Corroboree
☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

UNRWA slams Israel for attacking UN-run school in Gaza

373395_Israeli-war-on-Gazans.jpg
Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:17PM

Senior United Nations officials have strongly denounced Israel for a deadly attack on a UN-run school housing thousands of refugees in the northern part of the besieged Gaza Strip.

The condemnation comes after Israeli forces shelled the UN-run school in Jabalia refugee camp on Wednesday. Initial reports say at least 19 Palestinians were killed and about 90 injured in the deadly attack.

The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) said there is solid evidence that Israel was behind the attack. The UNRWA added that it had already announced the locations of its shelters to Israel.

“We have visited the site and gathered evidence. We have analyzed fragments, examined craters and other damage. Our initial assessment is that it was Israeli artillery that hit our school, in which 3,300 people had sought refuge," Pierre Krahenbuhl, Commissioner General of the UNRWA, said in a statement.

The senior official also condemned “in the strongest possible terms this serious violation of international law by Israeli forces,” adding that Israel's inhumane acts of violence were bringing shame to the world.

“Last night, children were killed as they slept next to their parents on the floor of a classroom in a UN-designated shelter in Gaza. Children [were] killed in their sleep; this is an affront to all of us, a source of universal shame. Today the world stands disgraced." the statement read.

The UNRWA says it is the sixth time that one of the schools housing the fleeing Gazans has been struck by Israeli forces.

UN Humanitarian Chief Valerie Amos has also said that she is shocked by Israeli attacks on the world body's shelters in Gaza.

Amos noted that civilians, among them children, are the main victims of Israeli attacks on the UN schools which are used as shelters by Palestinians.

JR/AB/SS

Related Stories:

“Last night, children were killed as they slept next to their parents on the floor of a classroom in a UN-designated shelter in Gaza. Children [were] killed in their sleep; this is an affront to all of us, a source of universal shame. Today the world stands disgraced." the statement read.

This!

“Gaza is a graveyard,” sing joyful Israeli youths

In her latest post, my colleague Rania Khalek makes reference to “a new racist chant mocking the more than two hundred children slaughtered by Israel’s merciless bombing campaign in Gaza: ‘Tomorrow there’s no school in Gaza, they don’t have any children left.’”

This video shows an Israeli mob actually singing in celebration of children’s deaths in the style of a soccer fans’ song: “In Gaza there’s no studying, No children are left there, Olé, olé, olé-olé-olé.”

The mob also incites directly against Ahmed Tibi and Haneen Zoabi, two prominent Palestinian citizens of Israel who are members of the Knesset, Israel’s parliament.

The video of the 26 July event in Tel Aviv was published by Israeli journalist Haim Har-Zahav.

The words of the repulsive song have been translated for The Electronic Intifada by Dena Shunra:

Tibi – Ahmed Tibi

I wanted you to know

The next kid to be hurt will be your kid

I hate Tibi

I hate Tibi the terrorist.

Tibi – is dead!

Tibi – is dead!

Tibi – is dead!

Tibi is a terrorist.

Tibi is a terrorist.

Tibi is a terrorist.

They’ll take their papers away.

Olé, olé, olé-olé-olé

In Gaza there’s no studying

No children are left there,

Olé, olé, olé-olé-olé,

[Three lines, not entirely clear]

Who is getting nervous, I hear?

Zoabi, this here is the Land of Israel

This here is the Land of Israel, Zoabi

This here is the Land of the Jews

I hate you, I do, Zoabi

I hate all the Arabs.

Oh-oh-oh-oh

Gaza is a graveyard

Gaza is a graveyard

Gaza is a graveyard

Gaza is a graveyard

English subtitles

Tali Shapiro has posted a version of the same video with English subtitles

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dorsey/israeli-crowd-cheers-as-missile-hits-gaza-live-on-cnn

Israeli Crowd Cheers As Missile Hits Gaza Live On CNN Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ