The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hostilis

Lophophora alberto-vojtechii Flowers, Identification.

too me it seems simple.

You are the grafting king. holy shit

I have been waiting for the right time post these... :)

My variegated lophophora alberto-vojtechii. I had a third but it died from neglect.

post-903-0-11820900-1409214423_thumb.jpg

post-903-0-16453800-1409214453_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

DOOOOOOOOODDDD!!!!!!!!! I want!!!!! Hopefully I get at least one of them out of my thousands hundreds of seeds.

Oh and by the way anyone, if you want to buy/trade me for L. alberto seeds then PM me.

Edited by hostilis

The king, Hostilis Alberto :wink:.

Hey mate, I am not sure how old my plant is as I got it last year as a mature plant. I have done a fair bit of reading about these since there discovery, I think your three locations look the way they should including the flowers. As far as I know Alberto has been placed in the Diffusae section of Lophophora along with koehresii, fricii & diffusa so if you are thinking they or there flowers look a bit fricii it is because there are suppose to. This would also mean it should not cross with williamsii.

A basic description of alberto, Flower: color range is from almost white to pale pink with a darker mid stripe, it is very similar to L. koehresii the only differences being alberto can have rounded tepals & the bud forms differently. Growth: Alberto grows similarly to koehresii, the areoles radiate from the apical meristem, it differs from koehresii in that it never gets as many ribs, alberto has an average of 5 ribs rarely up to 8. Color: This is were alberto is different from koehresii & a lot more like fricii, alberto has a grey/mauve, greenish/violet epidermis & never get a dark bold green color like koehresii. The thing that sets alberto apart from its other Diffusae cousins is obviously its size at maturity, the seeds have very distinct differences as well.

Hey planthelper, I have read your comments & am now wondering how you have come to this conclusion. I highly doubt your seeds would be alberto crosses & if they were how would only one not be? I would say they are albertos or they are not, how big is the biggest one & when were they sown? I grow a lot of cacti from seed & it is very common for the same batch of seeds to grow at very different rates, I have L.williamsii here that were sown three years ago some of these plants are pushing 4cm others are still smaller than my alberto, all the seeds are from one seed pod & have all been grow in exactly the same conditions.

Cheers

Jox

I wonder how you can believe that a 45mm diameter loph, which grew to this size very fast, can be an alberto.

here are more details, I was given 5 seeds for free and the person said they are alberto seeds.

I managed to germinate 3, two of them I grafted, one I left on it's own roots.

you can clearly see on my pic that they are already after one season far too big to be albertos.

the 3rd one though, which I did not graft, grows very, very slowly and stayed quite small.

have a look at my pic.

it's easy to explain how some seeds could be true albertos and others which came in the same batch ar not, the seeds were either mixed with other seeds (unlikely as I think we all avoid this from happening) or, more likely the mother plant was cross pollinated and self and same of a kind pollinated.

we need more info, was the mother plant kept in isolation, or only kept with other true albertos?

it doesn't look that way to me.

here is my pic, those two grafts are clearly no albertos!!

post-70-0-97869900-1409375688_thumb.jpg

alberto#2.JPG

alberto#2.JPG

Edited by planthelper

I just had a very good and close inspection, at my 3 albertos, and I noticed that, they look exactly how, they are described in post #25! they all are greyish and not a nice green collor like all my other lophs, so I conclude, they have alberto heritage and are not the result of mixed up seed, but must have had a large loph as pollinator!!

Color: This is were alberto is different from koehresii & a lot more like fricii, alberto has a grey/mauve, greenish/violet epidermis & never get a dark bold green color

very nice plants on here :)

This is one of 2 grafts labelled as albeto that i was lucky enough to acquire off people from here, or at least i hope it is an alberto........this one and the other don't look like the other grafted lophs that I've got.

It flowered last week for the first time since it arrived before winter.

post-13829-0-86862500-1412082337_thumb.j post-13829-0-21056400-1412082356_thumb.j

3 flowers, two have opened, the 3rd is about to.

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

• Like 1

Nice guys!!! I have since collected seeds from my alberto plants and they were yellow fruits. Even though one of them is growing super fast and has tufts of hair it still has yellow fruits. So I think it is some kind of hybrid, but the others aren't. I see now the different look of the seedlings that come out of my seeds. Some of them that have no little trichomes on the imature areoles turn out to be the really slow growing dwarfs, and the ones that do have little trichomes on imature areoles end up being faster growers that grow tufts of hair after flowering, but still have yellow fruits like only alberto's do.