The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mesq

Pressure Cookers

Hi everyone I thought Id post here cos it would reach the most people...

I am after a pressure cooker with capacity greater than 20 litres with a pressure gauge like the All American brand cookers...

If anyone knows where I can get one of these in Australia please let me know..

Mesq, there was someone on EA boards selling pressure cookers that they picked up from Op shops, best to get into contact with them i'd say, they might have what you are after.

Sorry, not too helpful but thought it's worth a mention.

good luck

Edit: actually i saw what looked like a large pressure cooker today in a air-compressor pump shop, will have a closer look tomorrow...came up to about knee height.

[ 25. August 2003, 20:59: Message edited by: gerbil ]

Thanks for your reply gerbil... unfortunately there is no way any of the pressure cookers found at Op shops are going to cut the mustard.

I am finding that nobody sells pressure cooekr larger than 10 litres in australia... besides Hawkins and Im not sure if I want that one or not.

And a comemrcial autoclave is a bit much for me right now....

the search goes on.

Im willing to spend up to $400. I might have to order from america.

I dont suppose anyone has a 2nd hand cooker they are selling? Saw one in the Quokka the other day but it was sold by the time I called up.

hey mesq, well went to have a closer look today, and by the time i finish work and get there, they are long shut.

Just from the window though, it looks like a pressure cooker to me, big screw on lid, guages etc. Couldn't see what the guage was measuring though as it was facing the other way. It might be a boiler though.

If they let me in before hours tomorrow i'll find out specs and cost.

Watch out though....

Ive always used a stopcock one with no pressure gauge till now and found them acceptable. With these the worst that can go wrong is they boil dry

the other is a potential thermonuclear device ;D

You have to adjust heat input or the pressuer just continues to rise and rise...

Ideally youd want and electric steroclave like at fungi.com or a proper autoclave.

I'd agree with the thermonuclear device thang... the newer ones do have a pressure release valve which blows well before the body of the cooker- but it would reach escape velocity fast.... you might just end up with a new skylight

Many an early morning hour I've spent watching my old pressure cooker ( 20L guage type ) and I agree they're dodgy and dangerous and only really appropriate for ppl with gas stoves cos they need quick heat adjustment. But they're so damn big :) and working with bulk teks I needed the volume.

If I didn't I would have bought one of those electric pressure cooker thingies you get in electrical appliance stores- do they switch off automatically? Sacrifice volume for safer automation and get an earlier nights sleep? You bet!

If anyone is ever lucky enough to get a cheap autoclave ( auctions are a good source) make sure it has been inspected by a boilermaker and has a recent certificate. Just because something switches on doesn't mean its safe, there's enough pressure in those to inflate a tyre- or a kitchen- and you need to ensure pressure guages and seals are OK and if not you can get parts. Oh, and make sure its complete- I know from bitter experience, ask me about Dave sometime...

Actually rev Ill be getting this type.. the All American Steam Sterilizer 1925x 1941x.jpg It is identical to the stereoclave except relies on a stovetop heating or propane burner..do you reckon this will be ok?

I just used the other canners as references for people... cos I know that pressure cookers are rare in Oz...

[ 01. September 2003, 08:49: Message edited by: Mesqualero ]

That looks prity mean mesq.

To other ppl here interested in pressure cookers I recently noticed an add for '6L Pressure Cookers being sold @ Aldi for only $60'

opps also - It's nothing compared to that beast above and it does look fairly poor in general but for ppl not prepared to fork out big bucks it could be proove usefull.

[ 02. September 2003, 15:09: Message edited by: Lounge Act ]

Mesqualero:

do you reckon this will be ok?

Yep. it's identical to mine. Prone to failure only when overpacked, so keep it to 2/3 full and note yer sterilisation time when it hits 15psi.

Make a mark on your burner setting w a chinagraph pencil once you become familiar with the best setting- but be aware that it may differ slightly and don't take your eyes off the damn thing ( or any other similar pressure cooker ) for a minute!

Oddly enough, got it secondhand from a bloke who makes exhaust pipes in Victoria, paid about $200 for it five years ago.

It was a really lucky find, tho I'd been asking just about everyone for aaages- colleagues, sales reps, people I met in the street, you name it.

Trust me Ive been through the Sales rep gauntlet and it's a nightmare... :) Not big enough for a science supply co. Too big for kitchenware suppliers.... Im just waiting for a quote from the supplier... Techtrader were selling a second hand one for $750... till I told them how a new one was about $100 cheaper shipped from america.

That's a shame Mesq. You shouldn't HAVE to be big enough to talk to a rep. A good rep will help you start out, with a view to increasing their sales to you as your business or interest expands. If you haven't already, you might want to try to convey that when you talk to the next one

Much of my progress in TC has been assisted by some excellent reps, good ones are rare, invaluable. Its a relationship for mutual benefit- I wish more reps realised that

Techtrader IMO are usually overpriced, but it pays to check

I meant in terms of the equipment I was seeking DL :) I don't need an autoclave that's too big. I don't want a pressure cooker that's too small...

Im an in betweeny

Mesqualero:

I meant in terms of the equipment I was seeking DL

*blush* My bad

*bump*

I think im going to get it.....

Im just worried I was told by an australian supplier that the steam sterilisers are more dangerous than the pressure cookers... anyone have insights with this>??

Yes it seems your on the line Mesq

Too serious for a kitchen utensil, but not cashed up to justify an autoclave...

Have you considered MULTIPLE 10L P/C's?

Im just wondering what your needs are.

Youre only making spawn right? and most things can then go to bulk materials like sawdust, mulch,straw etc

My Autoclave is 54L and even though its no quite equivalent you could go get 6 x 10L and a bank of hotplates for 1/10th the price of a new A/c and have the same capacity

Im in a situation wher ei have the a/c but im already seeing how i could quickly outgrow even that - i dont think they are designed to do commercial quantities of mushroom growbags full of sawdust. Ill be needing one of of those big bertha retorts

And you thought a p/c is hard to find in australia - i can tell how many deadends ill find looking for this

If i didnt already have my problem solved id be looking at multiple pressure cookers in the transitional phase before i got either an aiutoclave or one like that but electric

Trust DL and I when we tell stories about red eyed early mornings watching PC's - sleep deprivation, Far too much caffeine and too many cigarettes plus a potential bomb in your kitchen is a recipe for nerves :)

[ 06. February 2004, 04:51: Message edited by: reville ]

reville:

Trust DL and I when we tell stories about red eyed early mornings watching PC's - sleep deprivation, Far too much caffeine and too many cigarettes plus a potential bomb in your kitchen is a recipe for nerves

And bad jokes, rev hey. Lotsa bad jokes :)

It sounds surplus, but buy one of those little beeping digital egg timers. At 4am when you can't remember whether you fired the cookers up at 3.15 or whether they went to pressure at 3.15 and you should start timing from there, but the number 3.15 seems somehow relevant only your eyes keep closing- having something that beeps loudly to wake you up is critical