The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
woof woof woof

at what temperature does trich's flower?

Hey peeps,...

wondering at what temperature trich peruvianus / patchanoii / bridgedsii's start setting flower?

or what seasonal changes initiate flowering? from winter to spring or spring to summer? fall maybe?

darkening of the days or more hours of sunlight?

rain?

also share an approx. location where you live.

I live in the tropics........ it's 32C during the day and 26C at night on average. We do have cooler seasons, but only a few deg C difference,.... slightly shorter days,...1,5 hr difference between winter and summer.

I am going to try a couple of things to get them to flower,..... from freezing blocks of water fert, .... cooling em down with AC, more shade,.... ever heard of the birth control pill,....

Just wanting to know so that maybe I can use seasonal changes to my advantage. Like our winter is usually wet,.... but maybe watering and active growth can work against the flowering trigger.

most cacti in my experience will flower after a rest period.

thx peeps

I've had trichs flower in the middle of the winter, like Jan 7 for instance, as well as in the dead heat of summer.

My trichs can flower almost continuously from around May to December, with 10-12 flowers so far this season.

A month or so ago I harvested a 35cm branch pup; today its rooted & setting flower buds.

here's my recommendations.....

whack down a mature stem, 70-100cm and lay it on its side in full sun for at least a month, maybe 2 or 3. Once that cutting begins to sense its days are numbered, it will go into reproductive mode. It will try to grow roots, the tip will grow upwards & etiolate. After awhile, it may grow flower buds & flower; mine did. ymmv

• Like 4

in australia, victoria. i find mine bloom pretty much new years day. we would have been having hot spell of 4 to 7 days for a month or so and the bloom co incides with a very harsh hot dry spell. i have found that plants left in one position for a season flower more easily. pretty much any trich thats been moved during a season forgets to flower. my advice would be to set them down and leave them alone. ive also never had one flower under 3ft for some reason. though i have seen pics of pedros flowering well under that.

my big scop wont fower till its around 5 ft tall?

i think they all have individual traits when it comes to flowering but best results will occur when the remain in same place, orientated in the same direction. good luck.

• Like 2

just realized,....... does should be do* :P I can feel you,..... you grammar nazis!! :wink:

• Like 1

Ive seen trichocereus Around here in USA California flower during October when I made my first trichocereus purchase & the day time tempetures were 50-60" & nighttime was 36-50"

• Like 1

whack down a mature stem, 70-100cm and lay it on its side in full sun for at least a month, maybe 2 or 3. Once that cutting begins to sense its days are numbered, it will go into reproductive mode. It will try to grow roots, the tip will grow upwards & etiolate. After awhile, it may grow flower buds & flower; mine did. ymmv

I gave this guy a handful of cactuses last year. One was this monstrose pachanoi that he mistakenly planted upside down. I decided not to tell him so I could see how it survived.

Well a year later, you can see that it's not surviving well, but it produced a pup that's flowering. I have a few of these plants that are taller than me and have never flowered.

post-12335-0-27657100-1403027687_thumb.j

post-12335-0-64092500-1403027719_thumb.j

post-12335-0-27657100-1403027687_thumb.jpg

post-12335-0-64092500-1403027719_thumb.jpg

post-12335-0-27657100-1403027687_thumb.jpg

post-12335-0-64092500-1403027719_thumb.jpg

• Like 2