The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MrBumpy

Jasmine Tea makes man go crazy....

Dr. Susan Rice, a forensic toxicologist, told him that certain jasmines can be hallucinogenic.

Aponcynacea jasmines perhaps?

There has always been stories about the aphrodisiac qualities of jasmine for women. It is not just satanists who use it. I just find it sends me to another plane of existence, the Jasmine Plane of Delight. I'm male, by the way, though I don't normally admit it.

Quote: "It depends on what you use and what you mix it with," Hunter said. "Some chemicals act as a catalyst." Unquote

Jasmihuasca? Though this was long-term high dosage.

From PubMed

J Agric Food Chem. 2002 Aug 14;50(17):4878-84. "Identification of potent odorants in Chinese jasmine green tea scented with flowers of Jasminum sambac." Ito Y, Sugimoto A, Kakuda T, Kubota K.

Laboratory of Food Chemistry, Ochanomizu University, 2-1-1 Ohtsuka, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8610, Japan.

The odorants in Chinese jasmine green tea scented with jasmine flowers (Jasminum sambac) were separated from the infusion by adsorption to Porapak Q resin. Among the 66 compounds identified by GC and GC/MS, linalool (floral), methyl anthranilate (grape-like), 4-hexanolide (sweet), 4-nonanolide (sweet), (E)-2-hexenyl hexanoate (green), and 4-hydroxy-2,5-dimethyl-3(2H)-furanone (sweet) were extracted as potent odorants by an aroma extract dilution analysis and sensory analysis. The enantiomeric ratios of linalool in jasmine tea and Jasminum sambac were determined by a chiral analysis for the first time in this study: 81.6% ee and 100% ee for the ®-(-)-configuration, respectively. The jasmine tea flavor could be closely duplicated by a model mixture containing these six compounds on the basis of a sensory analysis. The omission of methyl anthranilate and the replacement of ®-(-)-linalool by (S)-(+)-linalool led to great changes in the odor of the model. These two compounds were determined to be the key odorants of the jasmine tea flavor.

I mentioned linalool just recently as a component of coriander possibly responsible for inebriation. Interestingly the furanone derivative above (and several others known to occur in Jasmine) could be similar in some ways to GBL. There are many other compounds in Jasmine, it would be interesting to know what these people thought was the active. Indole is found in the flower. The jasmonates are derived from arachidonic acid, as is anandamide (an endogenous cannabinoid).

Ive read through the symptoms that the 'victim' of jasmine described - quite amusing.

Good lawyer perhaps.