The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
doxneed2c-me

Soaking Seeds

I recently tried a small experiment likely not big enough to conclude anything but I bought a dragon fruit and removed the seeds. I dried 1/2 of the seeds. I put 1/4 of the seeds that were never dried into a mason jar filled water to soak and the other 1/4 into a mason jar with dragon fruit pulp in it. I waited no more than a week then rinsed the pulp from the seeds and planted both sets of seeds in jiffy pots with the same soil mix in each.

I have incredible germination rates with the seeds that were left in some pulp whereas with the ones soaked in water very few germinated as of yet.

I am not sure if I will test out the dried seeds.

Makes me wonder if it might be useful to let other seeds sit in dragon fruit pulp for a while before planting them. Might work in a similar fashion with prickly pear but I haven't tested yet.

I once left some mashed up fruit from a Cereus in a cup of water, the seed started germinating after a few weeks & kept growing while floating around in the cup for an other two weeks. I just poured them out into a pot after that & cover with some soil, some of these are still growing.

It was never my plan to germinate seeds this way, to be honest I had just forgot about them as I had so many Cereus seeds.

Cheers

Jox