The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dawnbeaver

What is wrong with my loph?

Hi, any ideas what is going on here and what I need to do about it? Thanks...

post-13818-0-39959600-1396759493_thumb.j

post-13818-0-39959600-1396759493_thumb.jpg

post-13818-0-39959600-1396759493_thumb.jpg

Orange rot. A fungus! Potentionally fatal! sulfur,or even better a fungicide.

• Like 1

I agree. Looks like orange rot to me. Personally I'd take that pup off ASAP and graft it before it spreads. Treat with sulfur or like EG said a fungicide.

Orange rot. A fungus! Potentionally fatal! sulfur,or even better a fungicide.

Is sulfur not a fungicide though? I have powdered sulfur at home, if i ever get fungus should i use sulfur powder or liquid fungicide spray

• Like 1

Can´t see the whole Loph. Is that the main Pup? If so, i would remove the other and treat the sick One with Fungicide. If there is a bigger Pup below the infected One, take off the infected and treat the others. By treating the now separated Pup you can also try to save them all.

Is sulfur not a fungicide though? I have powdered sulfur at home, if i ever get fungus should i use sulfur powder or liquid fungicide spray

Yes, that´s why i mentioned it. But in some hard cases of orange rot, it might not be effective enough.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'll have a go at it tomorrow and put up some pics.

• Like 1

Good luck!! BTW, Is that loph variegated?

If you notice, the 'variegation' is only around the area affected by fungus. The infection causes the change in color, and I've seen the exact same thing on more than one of my loph grafts. If you win the battle against the fungus, the plant will look variegated afterwards, but it's not really variegated...

It's a good reason to be wary of some plants sold as lightly variegated on certain auction sites. Then again, variegated portions of plants are more susceptible to infection, so it can be hard to tell.

• Like 3

Post surgery. I've cut away the rot, applied sulphur and attached the pup to a pc TP.

post-13818-0-18339100-1396822457_thumb.j post-13818-0-00874100-1396822455_thumb.j

post-13818-0-00874100-1396822455_thumb.jpg

post-13818-0-18339100-1396822457_thumb.jpg

post-13818-0-00874100-1396822455_thumb.jpg

post-13818-0-18339100-1396822457_thumb.jpg

Nice. That's a pretty elaborate string hold there. Hope they take!!

• Like 2

Thanks, it's not string its elastic so it keeps the pressure on when things shrink.

• Like 1

Not sure if cutting away the infection will help but i have my fingers crossed for you. I had cases when cutting it away made it even worse. Apart from that, it looks very good. Do you have a Monstrose Trichocereus as secondary grafting stock or am i seeing things? Why didn´t you graft directly on one host?

• Like 1

The rootstock is a TP with a normal TP pup grafted to it.

I had a pup comprised entirely of that diamond effect that I grafted to the rootstock hoping it would keep growing like that but it grew normally so I cut the normal bit off to do this graft. I'm hoping it will look interesting if it takes and doesn't have that horrid orange fungi.

its usually not fatal IME, I never cut it away.