The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-RC-

Floribunda from cuttings?

Hi all,

Just wondering if it is possible to grow acacia floribunda from cuttings, and if so how?

Cheers :)

www.worldwidewattle.com/infogallery/cultivation/

Check that. Not sure about floribunda, I have some growing from seed at the moment if you want some. Just give me a yell when you are In town nxt and they all yours.

• Like 1

There's been a few threads about propagating Acacias from cuttings on here over the years. There's a bit of useful info about dilutions and application rates for IBA in one of them. There's also some good info on using high concentrations of IBA dissolved in ethanol. IBA is much more soluble in ethanol than water, so it seems like a handy tip.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21724

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9543

I can't remember seeing anyone here post any pics of succesfully rooted cuttings though, so the area needs some controlled studies to develop a reliable method.

I've had good success with hardwood and semi-hardwood cuttings that are notoriously hard to root. I soak them in willow water overnight and then dip them into a double strength IBA solution for about 2 minutes and then put them into a bubble cloner. I don't know if the IBA solution really helps much in a bubble cloner as it would wash off almost straight away but I've had good success that way so I do it out of habit more than anything.

The willow water has small amounts of IBA (possibly insignificant) but I think the main benefit comes from the salicylic acid content. I've also read an article by a Japanese researcher (can't remember his name sorry) using willow water in controlled studies to good effect and he postulated that there is another unidentified compound in the willow water that adds to its effectiveness. He found that willow water greatly exceeds the effectiveness of a synthetic solution containing the same levels of IBA & salicylic acid. Everything I've tried it on strikes better and seems more resistant to attack by pathogens.

I'm planning to try a few Acacia cuttings soon myself.

• Like 3

Typically none of the acacia strike a cutting well. But i have heard people with good strike rates too, without any special operations.

Give it a go and see what happens

• Like 1

They grow like mad from seed mate, mine are 2ft in 5mths from germinating, might be the quickest way

Yeah I agree, they are the easiest aust. Acacia to get to pop that ive tried, and grow like mad!

• Like 1

Cheers guys! :)