The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ace1928

Looking for Spirulina Culture

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in or not. Let me know if I'm wrong. Not sure where algae fall into haha

But yeh I am looking for a culture of spirulina, preferably one that doesnt cost me a kidney like from CSIRO, so that I can begin growing this little beauty. Got the rest of the equipment I need for it just need the little guy.

On that note is there anyone here with experience growing spirulina? It seems like something that a few people here might know a thing or two about (like most everything else)

Cheers guys

• Like 1

Perhaps if there is sufficient interest a group purchase could be made from the CSIRO library, the culture could then be expanded & distributed to everyone who contributed?

• Like 1

It COULD be done but it is still a stupidly expensive culture. It is more a moral stand against buying it more than anything else.

If i can get my hands on a culture I plan to expand it and distribute a tonne of it free to the people on here. It seriously grows stupidly fast and easily and can expand so quickly.
The other option is getting it shipped from overseas if I can find somewhere that will ship to Australia.

Really hoping I'm lucky enough to find someone on here who has it. If not so be it haha

• Like 1

After a quick bit of further searching it actually looks as though CSIRO is the ONLY place to get a live culture in Australia.

Why the hell is it that every single time there is some organism, food, technology, technique etc etc for doing something sustainable that is easily achieved by the general population it seems to be nigh impossible to get?
P**ses me right off.

Anyways. On that note. I'm going to post another thread to see how many people are interested in putting in for a group purchase.

How much does it cost to purchase the culture from the CSIRO?