The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
doxneed2c-me

Root Rot or Bad Transplant

I transplanted my cacti about a month or two ago into new pots but I have had about 2 or 3 die. I discovered one toay where it was leaning to the side quite badly and moved it and noticed there was no roots bound to the soil. My soil is standard quick draining soil however I added about 1/4 perlite (it already has perlite and other non-organics in it). I am also curious if i should add some rocks or sand over the soil to provide support to the cacti now they are getting bigger. They are a columnar cacti which are all about 3-6cm. I do notice some are leaning over a bit because they do not have any support but all their roots are fine. I would also like to mention I grafted the cactus I found today to a Pereskiopsis spathula so it should survive.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'm having difficulty understanding the exact problem but I think you may need to stake those freshly planted cactus to anchor them until the roots are able to do this job. I'm assuming it's the cold season where you are. If this is the case then roots don't grow much during this time.

I can't answer why those 2 or 3 have died.

did you bury them deep ennough. were they properly caloused ?

They were seedlings sorry I should have specified that. Also I should specify they are inside but the temperature isn't regulated so well and my heating mat is being used to try and get some T. Panochoi to germinate however I doubt it will happen. I am not in the best climate for this but it is interesting none the least.

Edited by doxneed2c-me