The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DiscoStu

brandis to "crack down" on piracy

The Abbott government is considering a major crackdown on online piracy, including forcing internet service providers to block websites that allow users to illegally stream or download movies, music and television shows.

The federal government is also considering implementing a "graduated response scheme" that could lead to consumers' internet accounts being temporarily suspended if they ignore notifications to stop downloading illegal content.

If implemented, the reforms could see popular file sharing sites such as The Pirate Bay blocked by some internet service providers.

Attorney-General George Brandis flagged the changes in a major speech to the Australian Digital Alliance forum on Friday.

Advertisement

"The government will be considering possible mechanisms to provide a legal incentive for an internet service provider to cooperate with copyright owners in preventing infringement on their systems and networks," Mr Brandis said."This may include looking carefully at the merits of a scheme whereby ISPs are required to issue graduated warnings to consumers who are using websites to facilitate piracy. This is a complex reform proposal, and how it is paid for is one of the principal unresolved issues."

He continued: "Another option that some stakeholders have raised with me is to provide the Federal Court with explicit powers to provide for third party injunctions against ISPs, which will ultimately require ISPs to take down websites hosting infringing content."

Such measures would be welcomed by entertainment companies and sections of the artistic community, but are likely to prove controversial among internet users and providers.

Australians are among the most avid users of pirating websites in the world. For example, Australians accounted for 16 per cent of all illegal downloads of television program Breaking Bad.

In his speech Mr Brandis said he stood firmly on the side of content creators in the copyright debate.

"I firmly believe the fundamental principles of copyright law, the protection of rights of creators and owners did not change with the advent of the internet and they will not change with the invention of new technologies."

He described the Copyright Act as "overly long, unnecessarily complex, often comically outdated and all too often, in its administration, pointlessly bureaucratic".

MORE TO COME

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/george-brandis-signals-government-crackdown-on-online-piracy-20140214-32q62.html

hill-air-ee-us - good luck with that bloke..... :shroomer:

whale,%2Bdeep%2Bcards%2B003.JPG

hmm, that article mentions nothing about EU or dutch legislation, would it be different if there was an actual law requiring it? fuck knows how that will work though, is every site hosting a bt file required to be blocked? bt isn't illegal and plenty of legit stuff gets shared,

i just think it's funny, brandis thinking blocking tpb constitutes a "crack down"

from what I understand there was already a case against iinet in australia where these companies tried forcing ISP's to legally be bound to enforce their copyrights, and that case fell flat on it's arse, with the judge ruling that ISP's are only providing internet access, and that they have no burden to filter that access. I'm pretty sure it went along those lines anway. So there's a definite precedent in that case to tell these right-wing nutjobs that somehow got our top jobs to get fucked.

• Like 3

from what I understand there was already a case against iinet in australia where these companies tried forcing ISP's to legally be bound to enforce their copyrights, and that case fell flat on it's arse, with the judge ruling that ISP's are only providing internet access, and that they have no burden to filter that access. I'm pretty sure it went along those lines anway. So there's a definite precedent in that case to tell these right-wing nutjobs that somehow got our top jobs to get fucked.

I think that was iiNet vs Copyright holders or something though, wasn't it? Not Australian ISP(s) vs The Govt. Very different ball game :\

• Like 1

Cool!

I was thinking of moving to China, but now I don't have to! :unsure:

when brandis proposes blocking tor and vpn then I'll accuse him of being china,

until then, he's just an conservative douchebag

But that case was fought under existing law. The government can change the law.

• Like 1

^ yeah I kinda realized that after I wrote it. I'm so sick of these ultra-right wing pricks that somehow managed to get into our country's top jobs. Greg Cunt, the minister against the environment, is currently making laws to retrospectively protect himself from being held accountable for any of the fucked up shit he's already done, and any of the fucked up shit he still wants to do, which is basically to speed climate change along and hasten the self-destruction of our entire species. And he's getting away with it. What the actual fuck is wrong with this country?!?!? How did the criminals get to be the lawmakers? How can we be so powerless to stop it?

• Like 1

you need to weigh up the cost of keeping the barrier reef in tact or foregoing resource revenue.

i think in these budget constrained times where business needs all the confidence it can get then governments need to look at policy measures where business is freed from red and green tape so they can release capital into the economy to stimulate favourable economic conditions.

besides, current economic conditions are tough for business and as such the government needs to restrain budget expenditure but at the same time not impact business at all.

reducing green tape so business can free capital to stimulate revenue flow through will lead to economic prosperity.

as long as the levers of business are not constrained by red and green tape and renewed flexibility in the workplace environment are legislated then business can continue to contribute to the economy.

• Like 1

i think in these budget constrained times where business needs all the confidence it can get then governments need to look at policy measures where business is freed from red and green tape so they can release capital into the economy to stimulate favourable economic conditions.

I think you're either trolling or beyond help. There is nothing economically sound about sitting back and allowing climate change to happen - or actively encouraging it, as in this case.

• Like 2

I think you're either trolling or beyond help. There is nothing economically sound about sitting back and allowing climate change to happen - or actively encouraging it, as in this case.

Bot6's post is an amazing troll, 10/10.

He's been reading a lot of opinion columns in our wonderful newspapers.

• Like 2