The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
2XB

lights and propogation

I have a question about germinating and growing seeds under cfl. I have 130 watt cfl and am considering running it on a timer to give my seeds a consistent environment. I have a couple heat mats and hummidity domes as well.

Basically I would like some input if anyone else has had success.

I also have a hps 400w but tje cost to run that bad boy is enormous... I was hoping the cfl would be a small fraction of that.

There is a indoor lighting thread on sab about that

with the big fluro's the best thing is to run them vertically as your lumen rate is highly diminished by the time it reflects off

your hood. I don't recommend them much due to the inefficiency. but check out the thread should answer your questions

Edited by Bigred

Its best to keep your lights on for 18 hrs ( I run mine 24 does not change much ) its really a personal preference

I like the 24 hr period as you dont have to worry about timers failing you .Plus you get a bit extra growth and a quicker

switch to seasonal changes ie forced flowering

I also have a hps 400w but tje cost to run that bad boy is enormous... I was hoping the cfl would be a small fraction of that.

Think about digital as you can dim the bulb and you save a lot from efficient use of power to lumen ratio .

Also you get such better life from your bulbs . I was changing 3 times a year now i use a bulb per year

Thanks red ill check out the threads. And initially I thought to go 16hrs. I will ammend my plans ;)

Do u mean a digital ballast?

• Like 1

Yes old magnetic coil ballasts waste a lot on excess heat generated to run the bulb. many new

digital ballasts have mini cpu's that run your bulb at maximum efficiency

Yes old magnetic coil ballasts waste a lot on excess heat generated to run the bulb. many new

digital ballasts have mini cpu's that run your bulb at maximum efficiency

Thats rad dude. Whats a ballpark figure for purchase?

I can do a 2nd hand one . But it is best to buy one brand new around the 150 mark for a 400 watt

but you can get state of the art ones with i phone apps for 400

150 aint bad. Ill pm you about it.

There is a indoor lighting thread on sab about that

with the big fluro's the best thing is to run them vertically as your lumen rate is highly diminished by the time it reflects off

your hood. I don't recommend them much due to the inefficiency. but check out the thread should answer your questions

For a lot of different cacti seedlings the old fluro tubes work perfectly even to the point of having to run cool whites and have the a fair distance from the babies.

Its best to keep your lights on for 18 hrs ( I run mine 24 does not change much ) its really a personal preference

I like the 24 hr period as you dont have to worry about timers failing you .Plus you get a bit extra growth and a quicker

switch to seasonal changes ie forced flowering

We are talking about cacti seedling here not pot. :) Stay with the 16 to 18 hour run time. I haven't as yet heard of anyone using 24 and finding any advantage.

For a seedling setup you really only need some 2 foot or 4 foot fluro's. Even new ones from bunnings are cheep and you don't need big wattage ether so even if you are using CFL you can just use cheep ones.

There is so much info around on the net on people germinating and growing cacti seedlings under lights and I would think that at least 90% are under fluro's of some sort.

These are under 4 foot fluro's and the would be around 350mm away from the lights. These have never seen sunlight as yet only fluro lights.

post-4489-0-79222500-1390220312_thumb.jppost-4489-0-06801100-1390220321_thumb.jppost-4489-0-05970100-1390220327_thumb.jppost-4489-0-79397800-1390220333_thumb.jppost-4489-0-54464200-1390220339_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-79222500-1390220312_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-06801100-1390220321_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-05970100-1390220327_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-79397800-1390220333_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-54464200-1390220339_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-79222500-1390220312_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-06801100-1390220321_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-05970100-1390220327_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-79397800-1390220333_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-54464200-1390220339_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

^ sweet younglings Got,, how old would they be. I have some approx 6 months old under fluros.

Maybe I'll keep them there rather than try and acclimatise outdoors?

hey doublebenno,,

here's my set up,

A mix of Trichs, L.W and Astros :-)

A 2ft 18w dbl fluro with cool white tubes. I also use white fluting board from bunnings,,, paint or something else can be used. This helps reflect the lost light that would go elsewhere, back onto the cactus. a small deskfan directed away and up helps air circulation without drying things out too quickly. 18hrs light and 6hrs off. During winter I use a lamp inside an old speaker box under the shelf as a source of bottom heat. you can try different wattage globes for varying the temperature. There's a few variables involved, get the set up stable then introduce your babies :-)

post-13197-0-29794200-1390222058_thumb.j

post-13197-0-29794200-1390222058_thumb.jpg

post-13197-0-29794200-1390222058_thumb.jpg

Edited by upside
  • Like 2

Here's my set up. They're under T5 flouros.

post-12824-0-31454000-1390242175_thumb.j

post-12824-0-31454000-1390242175_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-31454000-1390242175_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ok sweet guys good info. It appears that maybe the 130w cfl is a bit over kill. Ive got it prob about 500mm over the seed trays.

The seeds I sprouted naturally ive moved in and seem to like it. The seeds im trying to germ in the chamber we'll see.

I think im generating too much heat. Despite sterilising the soil I noticed a spot or two of mould this morning...

I might grab a little fan this arvo...

Got, what watts you running??? I think I will down grade to a lower watt tube set up.

Thanks again

• Like 1

All you need is a twin 18 watt fluro you can get them at bunnings run one cool bulb and one warm to even out

the spectrum . You can get a little tent for 60 bucks on ebay and just use a computer fan on the exract you will

not require a intake fan .

• Like 1

Mods can we get a lighting thread pinned and I will help explain it all.

Cheers BigRed

I sterilize my mix in the microwave and still occasionally get some mould on the seeds. Not sure if it's due to airborne bacteria or if it's from my fingers when they're sown. Weird as it only happens to some batches amongst others that don't get mould?? I use cold water from the kettle to mist and as the front of my chambers are open I don't use an exhaust fan, only the one inside to alleviate air stagnation. The fluro's from bunnings are quite cheap, yet you will most probably need to connect a cord and plug into the fluro.

• Like 1

For a lot of different cacti seedlings the old fluro tubes work perfectly even to the point of having to run cool whites and have the a fair distance from the babies.

We are talking about cacti seedling here not pot. :) Stay with the 16 to 18 hour run time. I haven't as yet heard of anyone using 24 and finding any advantage.

For a seedling setup you really only need some 2 foot or 4 foot fluro's. Even new ones from bunnings are cheep and you don't need big wattage ether so even if you are using CFL you can just use cheep ones.

There is so much info around on the net on people germinating and growing cacti seedlings under lights and I would think that at least 90% are under fluro's of some sort.

These are under 4 foot fluro's and the would be around 350mm away from the lights. These have never seen sunlight as yet only fluro lights.

attachicon.gifWP_20131231_001.jpgattachicon.gifWP_20131231_002.jpgattachicon.gifWP_20131231_003.jpgattachicon.gifWP_20131231_004.jpgattachicon.gifWP_20131231_005.jpg

Cheers

Got

How old are these guys Got, they look healthy!

^ sweet younglings Got,, how old would they be. I have some approx 6 months old under fluros.

Maybe I'll keep them there rather than try and acclimatise outdoors?

hey doublebenno,,

here's my set up,

A mix of Trichs, L.W and Astros :-)

A 2ft 18w dbl fluro with cool white tubes. I also use white fluting board from bunnings,,, paint or something else can be used. This helps reflect the lost light that would go elsewhere, back onto the cactus. a small deskfan directed away and up helps air circulation without drying things out too quickly. 18hrs light and 6hrs off. During winter I use a lamp inside an old speaker box under the shelf as a source of bottom heat. you can try different wattage globes for varying the temperature. There's a few variables involved, get the set up stable then introduce your babies :-)

attachicon.gifIMAG2914.jpg

Nice neat setup. Is the hesian cloth to filter light for seeds???

Cheers Db, Yeah, it's beige shadecloth. I leave it on for a few weeks then remove now and then, I also start slowly opening the vents with the shade on.

Got, where are you sensei! we need your input :-)

• Like 1

Righto. Cant get to bunnings until the weekend so im still running 130 w cfl with the hood high as possible for the moment. But made a couple mods.

Added small fan which I think is doing not much. I think a vent at the top of the chamber maybe??

Also added some shade cloth cover for seed box. However its pretty close to opaque type green shade cloth. So im sensing this is no good...

anyone else use a filter for seeds?? Maybe some thin linen or something???????

Ok sweet guys good info. It appears that maybe the 130w cfl is a bit over kill. Ive got it prob about 500mm over the seed trays.

The seeds I sprouted naturally ive moved in and seem to like it. The seeds im trying to germ in the chamber we'll see.

I think im generating too much heat. Despite sterilising the soil I noticed a spot or two of mould this morning...

I might grab a little fan this arvo...

Got, what watts you running??? I think I will down grade to a lower watt tube set up.

Thanks again

I have never used CFL's so I cant really help with the stand off distance. Stillman was using Cfl's but I cant remember what sort of wattage they were there is a thread around here somewhere with his setup. I will see if I can find it.

Heat is not really a issue from my experience unless there is to much bottom heat but even then they seem to handle a fair bit. My grow area is in my shed and it will get to and stay at 45 deg c on hot days. I only run a small oscillating fan in there that runs 15 minutes every hour but I have only been running it for a couple of months I used to only have a computer fan in there.

I have a number of shelves and most have two 4 foot 37 watt fluro's over them. The shelves are 1200mm x 400mm. The shelf that those lophs are on at the moment has 3 x 4 foot 37 watt fluro's.

Mold is often from the seeds themselves and you will find some will grow mold every time you sow them unless you clean them fist. I sowed heaps of seeds before I came across some that were contaminated. You can also get mold on you mix surface even if it has been sterilized if it is exposed to the air. Even if you keep lids on containers or you use bags every time you open them you can let mold spores enter.

Most molds can be stopped if you spray them with hydrogen peroxide and you can also try letting the surface dry out a bit but you need to be careful if the seedlings are very young. I also have been using a pre emergent fungicide ( Fongarid ) I don't know whether it is making any difference but it hasn't caused any problems so I will keep using it.

I cant remember how old those Lophs are ( I will try and work it out ) but I can assure you guys that they are a lot older than they look as in the past I have tended to stall all of my seedlings for one reason or other. These days I am doing things a bit diferantly wich has helped a lot. I will post what I am doing soon but I need to find some time to write it all up first.

Fly screen is supposed to be about 15%. Your girlfriends white cheesecloth dress is probably about 50% if it the nice thin material. :innocent_n::)

Cheers

Got

• Like 2

Cheers Got, sounds like a sweet set up. Look forward to seeing the write up also.

@ Db, if ur chamber is fully enclosed, I'd say the use of an exhaust fan would be a good choice.

The filter is for when the seeds sprout and approx a few weeks after. I've found it works for me with my set up. Maybe I baby them too much ;-)

• Like 1