The Corroboree
Philocacti

New Zealand customs

The editor seems to ignore all my line breaks and wont let me edit my posts.. Lets see if this fixes it...

Few things about NZ customs:

-When it comes to flora, fauna and animals travelling in OR out of the country, they are VERY strict. Importing seeds generally requires permits to do so for just about anything.

-All members of the loph genus are considered prohibited plants under the Misuse of Drugs Act, carrying the same charges as cannabis plants. Seeds, cuttings, pollen, flowers; any part of the plant falls into this category.

-Importer is held responsible, not the shipper.

-A few years ago (2008 and earlier), importing cannabis seeds wasn't too hard. Now the siezure rates are so high, many seed companies refuse to ship to NZ. I known of several people who have had cops come to their house with a warrant following parcel seizure of cannabis seeds.

-NZ has a somewhat delicate ecosystem - there's no snakes here, no native land mammals (all of them are introduced and considered pests) and many species of birds/plants only found in NZ.

Over 30% of our GDP comes from the dairy/lamb industry.

Some introduced mite or disease could seriously fuck up the country. It's already happening now, with the varroa mite destroying honey bee populations. (Honey was $5/kg in 2010. Now it's $18/kg)

Due to this, such laws are taken very seriously and are not at all punished with a slap on the wrist - if the intent of wrongdoing is there, expect persicutors to want to make an example of any offender.

To sum it up, dont fuck with NZ customs.

I totally understand what you're saying.

I respect how the NZ government is doing to preserve nature and wildlife and I wish the rest of the countries would take this issue as serious as NZ.

I known of several people who have had cops come to their house with a warrant following parcel seizure of cannabis seeds

Well the Trichocereus cuttings I sent aren't illegal, so cops can't touch my friend who received them.

To sum it up, dont fuck with NZ customs.

I wasn't trying and probably the customs checked what's in the parcel and let them through.

most seeds don't require a permit........you just go to maf website and if its listed as basic its ok to bring in.....provided the full botanical name is on the seed packet.......inside the envelop.............and its a bit one sided..................you can buy almonds and plums in your local shop......from the states......save and grow the seed, yet its prohibited to bring in that family of seeds...daaaaaaa..............we now have black widows from usa grapes...............infestations of white tails that hitch a ride on some used vehicle................no counties have been successful at keeping unwanted potential pest out.......................you can't have international trade and travel and expect to isolate your flora and fauna.......................its like trying to hold back the tide.........cross contamination is just a matter of time.......................................they would get far better results if they treated people with respect...................

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 2