The Corroboree
gtarman

Is booby cactus in oz?

nice thread.

Re: Eulychnia spiralis / crest , read up on cactus art, they all are the same clone, different expressions of monstrosity. I recently got two, only to have one beheaded in the damage. I decided not to graft the cut part and have been trying to root it.

I have been growing boobs for some years (LOL) , started with a 15 cm piece from kadas garden. I have never grafted them, yeah them fuckers dont seem very willing to pup, but when established and cut, they often grow 2 or 3 branches at once, and its the only way to make more of them, that is cutting and waiting the pup to grow so as to cut this too etc.

it needs warmth to root and I have found on some occasions that smaller cuttings (8-15 cm) root easier than bigger ones (20cm)

so if they are both the same clone then are you saying my eulychnia spiralis could crest

dont tease me with a thought like mutant haha

i've been tempted to chop it and re graft the top of it as I've had no luck getting it to pup

this was it at the start of summer its put on decent amount of growth since

DSC_6046_zpsb94e9189.jpg

• Like 3

I am tempted to graft one my self, as I got a small crest, and a double headed spiralis that got one of the columns chopped off.

I got the piece in the propagator with the heating pad.

I wonder how it will pup after one cuts it indeed...

"then are you saying my eulychnia spiralis could crest"

exactly!

awesome info by cactus art + pic with all forms of the monster in a single plant!

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/EULYCHNIA/Eulychnia_castanea/Eulychnia_castanea_varispiralis_cristata/Eulychnia_castanea_varispiralis_cristata.htm

re>> booby cactus

here are some of mine. just starting to grow as temps become friendlier.

P1110467.jpg

I have found that it pays to start a plant from a fat cutting, like the one in the middle (widest base trunk).

Why I think grafting is not really necessary (unless leaving in a cold climate perhaps)

this catus roots rather easily. when cutting, and if lucky you will get two pups (maybe three in well established plants). Then when one of them is in rootable size you cut, reroot and let one branch grow (it goes faster when the extra pups are cut)

the hardest part it to cut for the first time a pristime specimen. Then you get used to it, if you're a cloning freek like me. And since this cactus gets a pretty good price, I dont let them grow much. I hope one day I can keep one unchopped one. That 90 cm one is pretty impressive. Always impressive also the woody hard base of biggy myrtis

Edited by mutant
  • Like 5

Here's my new addition. Very stoked about it. I'm not in OZ though. They're floating around here (US) quite a bit.

post-12824-0-52930700-1395005137_thumb.j

post-12824-0-52930700-1395005137_thumb.jpg

post-12824-0-52930700-1395005137_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I've seen them on gumtree in WA if anyone is still looking. 

I know at least two cacti/succulent nurseries in WA have had them also. 

Def here but still somewhat rare. 

I love this sticker

IMG_0771.png