The Corroboree
nothinghead

What do you eat?

To bring it back to food though - I don't really buy into much of the popular/trendy information out there in regards to nutrition. There's a million contrary viewpoints on just about every single piece of nutritional information from different sources with different agendas. I try to make sense of the best of it, but I tend to stick with a mixture of what scientific consensus and common sense says, and what makes me feel healthy personally.

But to be honest a lot of the time I can't really afford to give it much attention for the reasons Teo states above - bigger and more pressing problems occupy my attention and energy a lot of the time. And frankly sometimes it's just too expensive to eat the way you probably should.

• Like 1

The largest portion of my diet is bagged like animal feed. Triple cleaned (human grade) whole grains and beans in 11 kilo sacks.

With my garden supplementing a large portion of my vegetables my food budget is about $75 per month- home cooked whole food plant based everything.

It costs a fortune if you try to buy lots of pre-prepared stuff or all organic, etc. a sack of animal feed and a bit of kale shouldnt be too expensive tho. :wink:

• Like 2

I do similar Auxin. But I eat meat so I buy bulk lots of beef mince which seems to be the cheapest way to do it. That and canned beans usually trump dried for me just because I'm a city slicker with a lot on my plate (pardon the pun :lol:) and I don't usually want to spend up to an hour or more to get beans I can cook with.

But big sack of rice always..and I'll also buy a small bag of red lentils as well from time to time, which is a very fast to whip up dhal/dal/daal/whichever bloody way you wanna spell it. Combine that with gardening and maybe dumpster-diving if you have the stomach for it and you've got a very cheap way to eat indeed.

SELFNutritionData is a fun searchable front end for the USDA database of average food nutrient content data.

Yeah, this is an awesome resource. I've used that site for years to plan out my diets and ensure I'm getting a sufficient amount of my rdi of nutrients. it's also an awesome tool just for the novelty of comparing different foods and knowing whats in the food you eat. They also give food items a fullness score depending on the nutrients they contain and usually give a quick description of the positives and negatives of most foods. Many hours spent there going over all the states, statistics and figures trying to work out what I should be adding to my diet.

Fish don't pay rent on the rivers, and I've yet to hear of rates payments being demanded of kangaroos.

Yeah, but fish and kangaroo’s don’t have electricity, sewage systems and abundant fresh water supplied to there property either, nor do they have access to a weekly waste management system. Also, a bigger kangaroo can come along at any moment and force another of his land at anytime and there are no police nor a court system the kangaroo can rely on for protection from the standover kangaroo’s.

You could go camp on the side of a river for free if you want, you’d just have to live without the luxuries of modern society. Many do just that and I’ve personally set up camp beside rivers and creeks right around Australia, sometimes for months at a time, without being hassled by anyone.

But I’m guessing you have more of a hippy philosophy, right? Whereas you think you should be entitled to all the benefits of government and modern society, without any of the responsibilities. They think everyone should bend over backwards and work there hands to the bone, so they can live there responsibility-free alternative lifestyle. lol

• Like 1

Yeah, this is an awesome resource. I've used that site for years to plan out my diets and ensure I'm getting a sufficient amount of my rdi of nutrients. it's also an awesome tool just for the novelty of comparing different foods and knowing whats in the food you eat. They also give food items a fullness score depending on the nutrients they contain and usually give a quick description of the positives and negatives of most foods. Many hours spent there going over all the states, statistics and figures trying to work out what I should be adding to my diet.

Yeah, but fish and kangaroo’s don’t have electricity, sewage systems and abundant fresh water supplied to there property either, nor do they have access to a weekly waste management system. Also, a bigger kangaroo can come along at any moment and force another of his land at anytime and there are no police nor a court system the kangaroo can rely on for protection from the standover kangaroo’s.

You could go camp on the side of a river for free if you want, you’d just have to live without the luxuries of modern society. Many do just that and I’ve personally set up camp beside rivers and creeks right around Australia, sometimes for months at a time, without being hassled by anyone.

But I’m guessing you have more of a hippy philosophy, right? Whereas you think you should be entitled to all the benefits of government and modern society, without any of the responsibilities. They think everyone should bend over backwards and work there hands to the bone, so they can live there responsibility-free alternative lifestyle. lol

You're putting quite a few (of your own) words in my mouth there buddy, and making unsubstantiated generalizations about me that I might take offense to if I gave half a toss.

For what it's worth though, I never suggested that anybody ought to do anything for me, and if you knew me or my background then you would understand just how patently absurd that little dig sounds.

And if you're going to take my rhetoric about fish and kangaroos literally rather than as it was intended - to illustrate a point about the ethics surrounding the idea of private property in regards to natural habitats and environments - then I really don't know what to say to you.

I'm not a member around here for the love of bickering however, despite the ample opportunities for bickering that said membership seems to provide.

Peace out.

• Like 3

My cat, if I had one, would have breath that smells like cat food... :huh:

Levity inserted :wink:

• Like 1