The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Nezahualcoyotl

Other Names for "Huachuma"

I am currently in the Peruvian Andes and am looking for other names for "Huachuma" or "San Pedro", both of which seem to be Spanish or have Spanish influence.

I have heard "Huachuma" means dizzy but I have also heard this is incorrect. A Quechua friend told me "chuma" means "not sweet". "San Pedro", of course, means "St.Peter", who is said to hold the keys to heaven.

Hi Neza, im sure Trout will be able to help you with this! Will point him to the Topic later this week.

Just a few from a simple google search...wachuma, huachuma, achuma, chuma, cardo, cuchuma, huando, gigantón, hermoso, pene de Dios, and aguacolla.

~Michael~

in Central/North Peru I found Gigantón to be the common name. But my favorite is : "El Remedio" in english : "The Medicine"

Edited by slice

Hi Nez,

Huachuma/achuma is a Quechua word, as is ayahuasca. Specifically it refers to "Cardon Gigante", a large cactus that grows at altitude in Peru Bolivia and Ecuador but may also refer to being "drunk with the divine" or some version of that. There are many quechua language groups so, like ayahuasca, it may have spanish influence (particularly in its spelling, more than its sound) as you suggest but it is typically refered to as the plant's "pre-colonial" name.

El Remedio may only apply to the medicinal preparation, not to the plant itself?