The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mimzy

Squishy loph

I re-potted a big loph and her three pups two weeks ago now. Tonight I noticed that one of the smaller pups has gone a little squishy on one side. The other two and the big parent are fine. Is there anything I can do/should do to save it? Does it need saving?

I was think of cutting him off and trying to dry him out on some perlite.

• Like 1

Did you cut the pups off and plant them all separately ?

You normally don't give them any water until after they have roots, so it really depends on how you've done it.

What are they planted in ?

when in doubt cut it off. save the rest of the plant before it rots into it

• Like 1

As soon a s I see any spots of rot Im suspect. Take a good close look and no water.

In my experience their texture can vary normally with season and other changes in conditions. Unless you can see any visible difference I wouldn't cut it open. Can you see any rust-coloured rot? Is the skin broken or marked? If not, I predict it will come good on its own.

Sorry about the late reply guys, has been a crazy weekend!

Ok, so the lophs were re-potted into 50/50 cacti mix and perlite substrate. No water has been given for over a week now. I didn't separate the pups from the parent to re-pot, they all went together. Over the weekend I cut off the offending pup from the mother plant. Both wounds on the pup and mother plant were doused in sulfur powder to callus. The pup is in a Chinese food container drying out and the parent plant it outside but undercover.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you updated on how it all turns out.

Generally speaking though, I suspect I may be killing my plants with kindness. I have read a lot of guides on growing loph that strongly recommend they don't get full sun to prevent burning. At the moment they are housed out the back of my place under a pergola. They get full sun for probably 2 hrs a day then only filtered light. It quite damp out the back of my place which makes me think fungus might be a problem. I will look for a better spot for them.