The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  

i just want to share something i've been ruminating on for some time.

i stir my instant coffee (white) and peer down at the little spiral galaxy i've made inside the mug, atop the swirling liquid.

it's funny to note that the greeks called (what turned out to be) our galaxy "the milky way" because their explanation for it was spilled milk, since without telescopes they couldn't have known that it was a blur of distant stars.

i peer down and plainly see how that insubstantial, almost 2-dimensional galaxy took its shape, as a thin slice spinning in a cylindrical vessel, atop a comparatively enormous mass of whirling liquid. well, i know that from the galaxy down, the vessel is full of whirling liquid which is much more massive than the foam top, but i can't actually see it for the foam, unless i have a clear mug. i could even make a distinction between the liquid and what is suspended in it.

how else does this analogy fit the problem of unaccounted mass? does anybody find it helpful? does it offer any insights? better make a coffee and think about it.

• Like 4

Yep. It's all about the froth.

'They' say there 'has' to be 'missing' matter but there are so many models of the possible structure of the universe and realistically they might all be wrong (or we're in a simulation). Who's to say the matter in this universe isn't feeling the influence of matter and/or gravity in other dimensions or universes? How would we even measure that? Im pretty sure they don't use rulers in hyperspace and they don't let a lot of information leak out from there either. I guess clocks are more their thing though right?

• Like 1