The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
BreakingBarrett

A few cacti identifications

Question

Hey everyone, I have a few cacti that I'm trying to identify. The first two have been growing in our front yard, since before I was born.

Before I got back into gardening they hadn't been watered for ages, causing a large clump to die off. This is the last living clump, with weekly watering it should hopefully pup with fury lol.

AzBpLtT.jpg

5PJFSls.jpg

KBuwucQ.jpg

Only recent pup coming off of the clump.

Ie1hS0A.jpg

These guys are right next to the first cactus.

tssqMlD.jpg

SqTGO5N.jpg

The newest pup coming from the clump.

tQMlRul.jpg

I came across a whole bunch of these growing on the sidewalk a few blocks from my house. I asked the owner if I could have one, so he let me cut off two sizable heads, this one being the biggest. I'm guessing echinopsis oxygona.

VvQKGIi.jpg

Flower bud coming off the head, the flower stems grow to about 15cm, having beautiful white flowers with a pink tinge on the outer pedals.

ETRegYb.jpg

And lastly, I came across a whole bunch of cactus growing in the front yard of a house across the road from my friends place. Going back tomorrow to ask If I can have a cutting. I'm guessing echinopsis schickendantzii or spachianus.

YC7ipOQ.jpg

Cheers,

Barrett

Edited by BreakingBarrett

3 answers to this question

First is Echinopsis. Maybe oxygona or a hybrid. The one next to it could be Echinocactus grusonii but the new pup rather looks like Trichocereus Candicans though. Some of them clump so i guess its them. The next icould be Trichocereus Purpureopilosus but you´ll have to wait to see if it grows columnar. There are countless hybrids out there with Echinopsis. Last one, yeah Spachianus or Schickendantzii. Both look very alike.

Cheers for the reply. The third one doesn't seem to become columnar, it acts very similar to the first two; it clumps, spreading horizontally. The largest head amongst the group was about 20cm high and 15cm wide. Apparently they have been growing there for a number of years and this is the first time I have noticed them, even though I have walked that way over 100 times lol.

The first few pics are Echinopsis, a huge amount of the Echinopsis available in aus are hybrids. I'm not great at IDing em. Always remember to ask the original grower. The last pic is a Trichocereus spachianus. There is no Echinopsis name equivalent, technically the plant doesn't exist. the original type specimen was lost.