The Corroboree
ballzac

bug ID request

This is probably more suited to a bug forum, but since I'm not a member of one, and we have lots of members who are knowledgeable about our flora and fauna, I thought it would be worth trying here :)

I found about a hundred of these in the carpet. At first I noticed a couple from a distance and thought they were mouse droppings, but upon closer inspection I realised they were some kind of egg sac or larva. I realised there were more under the surface of the carpet, and the more I looked, the more I found. Most of them are quite deeply buried, and they could have been there for a while without me noticing.

bug.jpg

My first thought was maybe cockroach egg sacs, but looking up pics, they look to be pretty rectangular, whereas these are quite round. They don't appear to be beetle larvae, because they don't have any hairs or 'legs' (not that I can see anyway). Not sure there's much more information I can give. The pic says most of it. They're about 8mm long. The temps here are getting pretty low still (~3C at night) but we leave the heating on about 16C most nights, which is probably nice and cozy for these little things.

I don't know how widespread the infestation is, but I looked in another room and after some searching around in the carpet I found one, so my guess is that they're probably all over the house.

It's hard to know what steps to take when I don't know what they are.

Any thoughts?

Cheers :)

In germany, i would say that this is a Fly Cocoon or larvae or whatever they are called. If you forgot to take out the trash in summer, this is what takes over the kitchen! :uzi:

• Like 2

I agree with EG, google image fly pupae.

Cockroach bomb the place? That shit's basically nerve gas.

You could encourage it to hatch by putting it in a warm place. Like a big glass jar by a window. Don't let it overheat though.

looks like you guys are probably right. I'd never seen flies in the pupal stage before, so it never occurred to me. Bit of a relief to be honest, because flies are pretty easy to deal with.

I've got one sitting in a jar now.

Thanks everyone :)

Yeah, i say fly pupae too, and given the size of the pupae, i am pretty sure it will be a blow fly. At a guess, i would say it turns out to be a flesh fly, a striped looking blow fly who's larvae feed on garbage, manure and decaying meat.

If you have about a hundred in your carpet, you are going to wake up one morning to a lot of flies clinging to your wall. Lol.

Edited by Amazonian