The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Calocybe indica

Hi guys

wondering what the status of this guy is in Australia? Sometime ago it was floating around the Shroomery and I wondered then if anyone had got a culture in Australia?

Sounds like an interesting mushroom and certainly looks like pretty decent yields on a somewhat fiddly substrate.

I noticed these guys suggested they have it available - Ive never heard of this group and ive been out of the loop since 2006.

http://everythingmushrooms.com/mushroom-cultures/

Looks like it needs a fair bit of heat Zen(Aloha Medicinals state it needs 30-35 degrees for fruiting and high humid.), Never looked into it before, does look promising found some piccies of cultivation in Thailand

http://anonbiotec.gratis-foros.com/t1348-topic

ra03.jpg

I see a few aussies have given it go before though..... :wink: . These things can punch out some size.

off topic I think we need a wanted cultures thread :wink: Damn it starting it now....lol

• Like 1

I found it fruiting on the side of a road in Chennai.

There may be cultures of it floating around. I used to have at least one. Like Volvariella volvacea, the culture needs to be kept warm or it dies, which presents a problem for anyone in temperate climates. I mention this as it's likely that, despite it being distributed a while ago, it may have been lost by now.

Those mushrooms are beasts, Waterboy!

I found it fruiting on the side of a road in Chennai.

There may be cultures of it floating around. I used to have at least one. Like Volvariella volvacea, the culture needs to be kept warm or it dies, which presents a problem for anyone in temperate climates. I mention this as it's likely that, despite it being distributed a while ago, it may have been lost by now.

Those mushrooms are beasts, Waterboy!

I've grown it, still got it, happy to trade. Survives the cold of Canberra and Tassie, just goes dormant. As soon as it heats up, it takes off. I've fruited it on eucy sawdust, but mine were about 10cm diameter. Can't wait to try with a shitty substrate.

• Like 1

lol...I thought it was a fake photo at first Tripsis, like some sort of childs toy.

worowa I am presuming you used a large sized substrate for it is too be buffered from the cold ? (I'm thinkin amended strawbale...)

• Like 1

post-3605-0-18495000-1380404292_thumb.jppost-3605-0-46319800-1380404482_thumb.jppost-3605-0-41007000-1380404520_thumb.jp

lol...I thought it was a fake photo at first Tripsis, like some sort of childs toy.

worowa I am presuming you used a large sized substrate for it is too be buffered from the cold ? (I'm thinkin amended strawbale...)

No, survived on agar and small blocks, minus 8 outside, the lab had no curtains and no heating, bloody cold inside.

post-3605-0-18495000-1380404292_thumb.jpg

post-3605-0-46319800-1380404482_thumb.jpg

post-3605-0-41007000-1380404520_thumb.jpg

post-3605-0-18495000-1380404292_thumb.jpg

post-3605-0-46319800-1380404482_thumb.jpg

post-3605-0-41007000-1380404520_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great work Worowa! Good to know it can and does survive cold temps. How'd it taste?

Great work Worowa! Good to know it can and does survive cold temps. How'd it taste?

Thanks Tripsis...probably a lot like the Chenai relative :wink: . I found it crunchy, not a strong flavor. Only ate it once, have to get a big load going for our short summer. I've got a few plates if you want some.

I never tried the one I found in Chennai. It was a single specimen, so I cloned it. I was never game to eat any of the edibles I found fruiting in the streets of India, and I found many.

Thanks for the offer Worowa, but I haven't been growing mushrooms for quite sometime now. Don't have the time or equipment necessary to do it at the moment. One day I'll get back into it, but for the present I'll live vicariously through others. :)