The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bogfrog

Ecopsychology

"Ecopsychology studies the relationship between human beings and the natural world through ecological and psychological principles. The field seeks to develop and understand ways of expanding the emotional connection between individuals and the natural world, thereby assisting individuals with developing sustainable lifestyles and remedying alienation from nature."

"This subfield extends beyond the traditional built environment of psychology in order to examine why people continue environmentally damaging behaviour, and to develop methods of positive motivation for adopting sustainable practices. Evidence suggests that many environmentally damaging behaviours are addictive at some level, and thus are more effectively addressed through positive emotional fulfillment rather than by inflicting shame."

"The main premise of ecopsychology is that while today the human mind is shaped by the modern social world, it is adapted to the natural environment in which it evolved."

"Practical benefits:

Certain researchers propose that an individual's connection to nature can improve their interpersonal relationships and emotional wellbeing. An integral part of this practice is to remove psychotherapy, and the individual, from the interior of office buildings and homes and place them outdoors. According to the precepts of ecopsychology, a walk in the woods or a city park is refreshing because it is what humans evolved to do. Psychologists such as Roger Ulrich, Rachel and Stephen Kaplan, Frances Kuo and others have studied the beneficial effects of inhabiting natural settings and of looking at pictures of landscapes on the human psyche. Richard Louv's Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder discusses in detail how the exposure of children to nature can assist in treating mental disorders, including attention deficit disorder.

Another premise of ecopsychology is that steps taken to accept and notice nature can sharpen the senses and help people cultivate new skills. For example, the ability to track and navigate through a wilderness is improved if nature is noticed and accepted rather than feared. Similarly, ecopsychology proposes that sailors who appreciate the sea gain a keen sense for breeze directions."

"Reasons to embrace nature:

Ecopsychology explores how to develop emotional bonds with nature. It considers this to be worthwhile because when nature is explored and viewed without judgement, it gives the sensations of harmony, balance, timelessness and stability. Ecopsychology largely rejects reductionist views of nature that focus upon rudimentary building blocks such as genes, and that describe nature as selfish and a struggle to survive. Ecopsychology considers that there has been insufficient scientific description and exploration of nature, in terms of wildness, parsimony, spirituality and emotional ties."

"Cultures that embrace nature:

In its exploration of how to bond with nature, ecopsychology is interested in the examples provided by a wide variety of ancient and modern cultures that have histories of embracing nature. Examples include aboriginal, pagan, Buddhist, and Hindu cultures, as well as shamanism and the more recent hesychast tradition. Of interest is how identity becomes entwined with nature, so that loss of those sacred places is far more devastating to indigenous people than often understood. Native American stories, in particular, illustrate a socially recognized sense of community between humans and the natural landscape. Eastern Orthodox monks led a contemplative life deeply intertwined with nature. Other lessons include how to live sustainably within an environment and the self-sacrifices made to tolerate natural limits, such as population control or a nomadic existence that allows the environment to regenerate. Moreover, certain indigenous cultures have developed methods of psychotherapy involving the presence of trees, rivers, and astronomical bodies."

"Pain and delusions without nature:

Ecopsychologists have begun detecting unspoken grief within individuals, an escalation of pain and despair, felt in response to widespread environmental destruction. The field of ecopsychology intends to illustrate how evironmental disconnection functions as an aspect of existing pathologies, without creating a new category. The contention is that if a culture is disconnected from nature, then various aspects of an individual's life will be negatively impacted. It also believes that that without the influence of nature, humans are prone to a variety of delusions, and that to some degree life in the wild forms the basis for human sanity and optimal psychological development. The topic is explored in detail Paul Shepard's book Nature and Madness. It is also proposed that separation from outdoor contact causes a loss of sensory and information-processing ability that was developed over the course of human evolution, which was spent in direct reciprocity with the environment."

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecopsychology

This word 'ecopsychology' has popped up a couple of times in my recent reading, please excuse my post if this is old news to most of you cats, but i'm over the moon that such a field of study exists!!

Of course many in this community will know first-hand the incedible healing powers of nature, but its exciting to me that these concepts are gaining interest academically.

..Thoughts anyone?

...Interesting article anyone?

Persons as Plants: Ecopsychology and the return to the Dream of Nature

Monica Gagliano

University of Western Australia

http://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1195&context=landscapes

• Like 7

Of interest is how identity becomes entwined with nature, so that loss of those sacred places is far more devastating to indigenous people than often understood.

It also believes that that without the influence of nature, humans are prone to a variety of delusions, and that to some degree life in the wild forms the basis for human sanity and optimal psychological development

Connection with nature is something I think about a lot. It is almost something I am addicted to. Other people seem to be happy to lock themselves inside at the most beautiful time of the day such as dawn and dusk. I feel a bit lost if I don't feel the air rushing throu my hair and watch the sun set every day. I am sure a lot of people here feel the same.

I was riding my bike yesterday, and a dog was in the back seat of a car in front of me. He looked at me most excitedly, then a look of sadness came across his little face as he/she realised they were stuck in a car, blocked off by glass and metal from the sights, sounds, scents and sensations of being free under the sky. This really drove home the importance of being in contact with nature to me; it reconnects us to our larger Gaian existence that is often hidden from us by the ego that plants is firmly and solely in our bodies.

Mckenna talked about the importance of the earth and nature and its relevance to space travel in one of his lectures. Nature represents fertility and Eros, while space represents sterility. He even postulated that humans may not be able to reproduce in space due to the lack of Eros, that the surrounding nurturing field of nature is necessary for conception. Are we as a species therefore forever bound to the earth? This is a real tension I feel especially considering the direction of civilisation today. We may not be able to exist with connection with nature, yet we are unconsciously (or consciously maybe) reducing our existence to one of synthetic products and electronic circuitry, and possibly even to remove ourselves entirely from the biosphere via space. However one must ask themselves the question whether they are then happy to tie their fate to that of this third rock from sun.

Thanks for your indulgence. Really interesting links will check it out.

• Like 3

I think i'm addicted to nature in a way too :)

Theres nothing else which has an equally soothing effect on a frazzled mind.

I can't help but think that even being able appreciate the wonder of the natural world is a gift in itself, and anyone who has that gift must be sharing it with others in whatever way possible. Be it encouraging your mates to get out the house come for a walk with you, or showing others what splendor you see, either through art, music, photography, poetry, dance, anything that helps others realise, 'hey maybe i really am missing something sitting here in front of the computer all day'.

I think the biggest blessing in my life was growing up in an area where nature in its unspoiled glory was accessible. I dont think i would be here today if i grew up in a concrete jungle.

I feel that alot of the identity issues and discomfort which arise for us are closely tied into the lack of connection we feel with the earth.

The maori concept 'Tūrangawaewae' sums this up neatly:

"Tūrangawaewae is one of the most well-known and powerful Māori concepts. Literally tūranga (standing place), waewae (feet), it is often translated as a place to stand. Tūrangawaewae are places where we feel especially empowered and connected. They are our foundation, our place in the world, our home."

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/papatuanuku-the-land/page-5

" "My place to stand" means that I belong. I have a whanau (family). I have a tribe. I have a land. Because of those connections, my feet are firmly rooted in the earth of my ancestors and I have my place. I am not confused about who or what I am. I know. I have the blood of my ancestors surging through my veins, and no one can take this identity from me."

- Native Wisdom for White Minds, Anne Schaef

Because of mass migration, most of us have very little knowledge of where our people came from, what their lives where like, what was meaningful to them. We have been cut off from our roots, no wonder it is such a rare thing to encounter a person who is truly grounded.

We must always remember that we belong to this earth. No matter how isolated and fragmented our lives are and the lives of our ancestors were, we all have a place to stand. Our identity should not consist of labels and appearences. Our identity comes out of the blood and bones of those who came before us, the relationships we build with the natural world, and the true connections we create with other beings. Finding 'our place to stand' is a journey, but we are citizens of earth, and it is the most worthwhile journey any of us will ever make.

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 2