The Corroboree
tizocAu

just got this?

Question

Started getting this wierd light yellow blotch on it.. its been recently cut what do you guys think...I was told some sort of peruvianus. ......? The spines are dark red and it looks a little bruised. But I have a ffeling this one will make it. post-12597-0-75313200-1377666404_thumb.jpost-12597-0-63308100-1377666365_thumb.jpost-12597-0-03366600-1377666510_thumb.j

post-12597-0-63308100-1377666365_thumb.jpg

post-12597-0-75313200-1377666404_thumb.jpg

post-12597-0-03366600-1377666510_thumb.jpg

post-12597-0-63308100-1377666365_thumb.jpg

post-12597-0-75313200-1377666404_thumb.jpg

post-12597-0-03366600-1377666510_thumb.jpg

Edited by tizoc4u
  • Like 1

post-12597-0-36652600-1377797322_thumb.j looks similar this is from the same cutting, idk maybe its my eyes

I'm not really sure of the necessity to somewhat unquestioningly consider plants with reddish spines T. santaensis, but anyhow, here's my own T. santaensis from the Huntington Botanical once again.

4799804096_8a1a5271fc_o.jpg

~Michael~

post-12597-0-36652600-1377797322_thumb.jpg

post-12597-0-36652600-1377797322_thumb.jpg

there are similarties because what is called santaensis on the forums is more than likely a peruvianoid,

whereas the ones i've seen on ebay alot lately selling for big prices, look to be more like bridgesoids eh
I wasn't around in the old days when ppl were calling them that so I don't know which is which but as I mentioned

before, im reminded alot of the Macrogonus situation... but theres not a city called Macrogona that I know of

whereas there is a collection site for the Santaensis supposedly, pointing to it possibly being a natural intermediate

but not exclusive of the hype

I could cross a bunch of Peruvianuses with other trichos, and I could select a few with very similar traits

and I could call them Santaensis, but jsut cause they look the same and maybe even have similar looking parents

wouldn't mean they are from that place ... Santa' ' something, where the Santaensis is supposed to be from

or someone correct me if im wrong.. I gathered what little I remember about the plant, somwhere off the interenet

in other words, a bunch of hybrids could easily take on similar traits .. especially of those shorter spined versions

I don't wanna seem condascending but it is what it is and its not what it isn't ...

here's a neat page from MS with plants which had that label applied

I really like the first two with the gnarly spines! just gorgeous!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/msscacti/sets/72157600838005252/

is anyone growing Trichocereus sp. BK09509.2 from ss?

I wonder how those look

Edited by Spine Collector

Cool pics Spine Collector - the Bird's Eye view is fantastic.

Here's a Los Gentiles (I think - if anyone knows for certain otherwise, let me know)

post-10533-0-88400600-1377884059_thumb.j

post-10533-0-88400600-1377884059_thumb.jpg

post-10533-0-88400600-1377884059_thumb.jpg

Would someone care to explain what specifically differentiates Los Gentiles from other T. peruvianus?...well, besides the mythology.

~Michael~

most of the time its not gonna be possible to find a collection site as many are plants that have made it around to various

collections, been cross pollinated, both intentionally and unintentionally and thus leaving it to a best guess... so in the name of integrity, names such as "Tarmaensis" from Tarma, Riomizquensis from Rio Mizque, or even Santaensis... etc... cannot be applied because we just don't know!

I think most would accept the plant in question as being a Peruvianus or a Peruvianiod with the most honest answer being, not sure exactly

as for Los Gentiles... what makes it special? LOL

good question... I think I mentioned that I think it maybe a collection hybrid and perhaps with a myth/hype attached

or possibly a standard peruvianus... the only thing I noticed is that all the LG seedlings i've seen in online photos, have about the same size spines and being that it looks so much like the MG Pachanoi I just coudn't rule out it being a Pachanoi Peruvianus cross but thats truly a wild guess eh...

I wonder if anyone has really grown out an LG to adulthood and whether its a prostrate or an upright looking plant?

I would guess upright.. not that it makes a whole lot of difference but I personally think the uprights are more of an intermediary plant

I think of Pach and Peru to be close, and im not sure if Pach was an artificial selection or what

but for Pachanoi I mean the green ones with straight line dashes but variable spines,

and for Peruvianus, I mean the True Blue of course hehehe

But im not intending to change anyones opinions in this regard, its just what floats around in my head

with alot of influence from what i've read in various forums and discussion

An alleged MG Pachanoi from seed

post-11432-0-26295100-1377899108_thumb.j

now what in the world would differentiate that from Los Gentiles?

Since it was labeled Pach I have to wonder if the mother was truly a Pach

or even a PC... someone could have just stuck a label on some dustpan seeds I spose.

another possiblity, could be just a standard Peruvianus but I think it could be any of those scenarios

post-11432-0-26295100-1377899108_thumb.jpg

post-11432-0-26295100-1377899108_thumb.jpg

Well im happy mine is a trichocereus. Maybe a hybrid Idk. What is a pure bred peruvianus. No one could answer that question because mostare intermediate that are found somewere. I really dont care to attach a label to it just wanted to be sure it was a peruv before I "labeled it" in my mind. Ill just call it my red spined peruvianus, thats all the santaensis is anyways, peru x brdge who knows. Thanks for the input

Edited by tizoc4u

lol I just had to go back through this thread just now

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15745&page=1

some nice pics in there, reminds me of when I started collecting

just a couple years back ehehe

pretty much Peruvianus plants grow all over the Peruvian Andes... and being such a huge site, they happen to be

growing side by side with lots of other plants so theres alot of intermediates and forms.. some say Icaros is the 'True Blue' so to speak eh

There are alot of accepted forms , even some that are possibly cuzco allied

theres the fat prostrate very blue type and then there are alot of bluegreen forms

some very long spined, some with shorter spines but one thing is from seed

they tend to be quite variable

what really matters is do you like your plant... if your are happy to have him in your collection than A++++++++++++

after all thats been said in this thread, I still say I wouldn't be surprised if your plant

thickened up in your location, grew longer spines and came out looking less like a hybrid...

Trucha mentioned in that thread that they can vary alot even on a single column and

i've already seen that on some plants in a short time growing these...

it could be related to soil and minterals, climate, amount of light.. and to be honest

yours sorta has that "young" peruvianus look.. if it doens't change alot then I'd still think maybe

a cross, but he could come out looking like a standard icaros afterwhile... . time will tell

honestly, the hybrids all sort of run together for me... occasionaly I can see a little trait here or there

but its a guessing game unless you know the parents

Im really opinionated lol and so don't take all I say as science... MS has been growing WAY longer than

me as well as many ppl here on SAB and so their opinion is just as valuable.. I do have alot of plants tho

and I know they can take on one appearance and have new growth look like something else altogether

in varied conditions and so I guess it would be up in the air for a bit :P IMHO <

• Like 1

well indeed in the first picture it does not look tricho

wtf all those black spines .... Nice plant...

the difference of los gentiles from other peruvians ???

hehe.... no difference.... los gentiles is a peruvian. its pretty, its pretty blue, its spination is a bit denser than icaro, and the spines are bit longer, and maybe a bit darker too, but not as dense , or as long as a proper macro. I haven't grown it so long to say more...

perhaps its a natural hybrid between peruvians and macros ?

:P