The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest saucer-like

WOW!!!

Guest saucer-like

Ok now I have your attention. I was gonna ferment some potatoes as a cheap source of alcohol but I saw a docco on the russians who sometimes accidently end up with a poisonous type of alcohol ( probably methanol or something similar) which is responible for hundereds of deaths each year. How would one avoid the chance of poisoning (without spending lots of cash). Thanks for your prescious time and yes I am being sarcastic! Wait! No I'm not!

or do they intentionally sell methanol as brand name vodka because it's cheap?

Guest DragonFyre

yeah sell it to those of us who dont mind going blind or dying from the effects of methanol

Someone once suggested that it is very inexpensive to distill methylated spirits.

(assuming you have a stil)

(Don't ask me)

don't really mind that bitrix taste, nothin a cube of sugar can't hide rolleyes.gif YuK!

Warning: Distilling alcohol is both dangerous and illegal.

[This message has been edited by Adrian (edited 08 April 2002).]

Guest saucer-like

so could the wrong proportions of a home brew ever make it poisonous? Or using wierd combinations like mixed fruit with potatoes. I dont wanna drink it but pure alcohol is required for lotsa things. I wonder how it woulg go distilling passion pop or fruity? Not that I'd ever do anything against the law.

Guest saucer-like

Sorry about all the dumb questions (I'm not any of those people). I just need to start from somewhere. If you want to meet me I'll be in Nimbin for the madigrass, camping at the Rocks YHA, eating cake with blue icing. -it's by far my favourite!

[This message has been edited by saucer-like (edited 11 April 2002).]

Guest saucer-like

Thanks Torsten thats a great site all my questions have been answered!

yeah, I wish every topic in the world had a website as detailed as that wink.gif

Guest reville

A FOAF once distilled the alcohol out of some leftover red wine and was shocked at the amount of methanol in it.

No wonder you get shocking headaches from Red.

Why use spuds when sugar is even cheaper?

You can get rid of meths if your still has a thermometer

The FOAF says....

Round 1

65-75 put aside as 'head'

75-95 take off as 70% EtOH

Dilute to 50%

65-75 put aside

75-95 take off as 95%+ EtOH

(can use at this stage)

dilute to 50%

Round 3

as above except cut to 37.5% and filter through activated carbon to strip any residual 'fuesel oils'

EtOH should have virtually no smell at all but if you sniff too hard it should burn.

If it pongs distill it again

Remember no smell and a fiery taste

Originally posted by reville:

A FOAF once distilled the alcohol out of some leftover red wine and was shocked at the amount of methanol in it.

that's cos to make a red, about a third of the solids are put back in the initial fermentation. this includes a lot of stems and seed, ie woody material that assumedly produces methanol.

No wonder you get shocking headaches from Red.

I think there are a lot of reason for that not limited to the methanol. Histamines, fusels and tannins are just a few.

Why use spuds when sugar is even cheaper?

and fermented sugar water smells infinitely nicer than decomposing spuds.

You can get rid of meths if your still has a thermometer

or just always take the first few % off the beginning.

Guest reville

yes definitely take off the 'head'

Double and triple distillation is the way to go for quality moonshine

Anyone ever tried using quicklime to get near 100% alcohol?

I read about it in my chemistry text while I really should have been studying...but you know how other things in the book grab your attention, well, anyway.

I'm guessing if you distilled/tripled distilled your alcohol...but still that doesn't get you 100% alcohol...you could add quick lime (CaO). The quicklime reacts with the water and forms calcium hydroxide I think, which is a solid. This can then be filtered out and you would be left with just the ethanol.

-bumpy