The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Notifications of PMs will stop

The system currently allows each member to decide if they want to be notified when a PM arrives. The problem is many [most] members don't keep their email addresse sup to date, so the notification emails end up bouncing. Bigpond has decided to use bounc voume as a major indicator of what makes an IP spammy and then proceeds to block that IP. I've had to unblock it several times already, but each time the unblock takes longer. So I want to try something new.

At some point am going to turn PM notification off for a little while to see if this makes any difference. I will also try to find another solution to the problem - maybe the forum software can stop sending to addresses after several bounces [have not been able to see such a feature immediately, so will need to look into that].

I will update this post once I proceed with this. I just thought I'd give plenty of warning.

• Like 2

Would this apply to other email notifications like watched (following) topics, notification on your own post being quoted, watched gallery images etc... ?

If a member is active, and has these options ticked in his/her settings, then i imagine they would have a current email address. But again, i would have thought that if a member is being PM'd, then they would be somewhat active, and have an up to date email addy, cause i was thinking it must be non active members where this bouncing email problem is occurring, but its likely to be a small volume of inactive members being PM'd, and not enough to cause the problem...Just thinking out loud.

A notification on the forum to the user that an email has bounced might do the trick. The message could remind the user to either update their email, or disable the emails (and thereby the annoying notifcation!)...

amaz, the problem is systemic. So many people lose their forum access because they forget their password and haven't bothered updating outdated email addresses in years. Until about a year ago i ued to see most of the bounce notifications and it is mostly active members.

I am trying to make it so only Pm notifications will be affected. I am also looking into resetting the notification setting gobally to a default 'no' which users can then change. Hopefully memebrs will be smart enough to check their email addresses before they change them. The problem is that the poor IP reputaiton causes some receiving mails ervers to refuse the email. This then creates a bounce and adds to the poor reputation. That's hwy I think I may need to turn off all notifications for a couple of weeks to see if the cycle can be broken this way.

I am still looking into other options and also discussing this with the developers, so hopefully we will find a better solution. It's just that if things get worse quickly I need to act immediately. hence the warning.

^ I understand. :)