The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
somnif

Ethnobotanica 2002 Rules - No Sharps?

'Sharps' are somewhat essential for some

of us and I suspect that this rule might

be best dealt with on a case by case basis.

Insulin is somewhat tricky to administer

any other way. As for injecting opiate

users - I am sure that they can find

another route.

I am serious about this insulin point.

what - no sharps? i'll not be needing to tow the trailer after all. on a more serious note SOME sharps could in fact be useful ie really large vetinary style sharps for those who need to innoculate daily.

Insulin injectors are rarely going to pass out from their injection and are usually not inclined to leave needles lying around wink.gif

They would also show up negative in a forensics drug test.

I am not preaching against needles here - even though I would love to. This is an absolutely essential issue though. Drugs are everywhere, and we would be foolish to think that we could host a drug free event. However we like the venue and would like to use it again and again. They are friendly and don't interfere. If someone looses a baggie or a pill, I am sure they can get over that. We found a cone before anyone even arrived last time (ie it was from a schoolgroup the day or week before). However, just imagine the hassles that would ensue from a needle being found on the property directly after EB2. Whether or not the needle did any damage wouldn't make much difference. The simple potential for disaster would be the end of EB at the venue and quite possibly the end of EB period.

The potential for damage isn't just for schoolgroups that follow the week after, but also for other conference attendees. I would like to think that everyone was responsible enough that this isn't an issue.

I know there is a rational part to this and also a media-hype part, but I am not keen on either.

Originally posted by Torsten:

. However we like the venue and would like to use it again and again. They are friendly and don't interfere. .

yes the venue looks great and strangely familliar wink.gif. It does look like it could get hot and stuffy under that tin roof but wink.gif any plans in place for the more heat sensitive southern individuals. Any chance of laying claim to the room on the left as you walk up the stairs its just the spot.

i think i've seen that venue in a dream i had once about a year ago. in the dream it was stifling and still and so it was hard to sit through some seminars. also in the dream the room on the left at the top of the stairs was a good place to be. i'll probably have that dream again or maybe i'll just bring an industrial fan.

The heat was mostly a problem when the sun hit the tin roof. We are in the process of constructing a shade sail which will span over the whole roof and some outside area. This will drastically reduce the radiating heat and it shouldn't be any hotter in the venue than outside. maybe even cooler due to the shade.

There will also be longer breaks, less lectures in the heat of the day and maybe even some outside lectures.

We are well aware of the heat (you try running around doing stuff all day rather than just sitting and listening wink.gif) and are confident this will make a big difference.

Just think how bad this will be for Christian, Claudia and Piers. They are arriving here from icy and snowy Europe.

Guest wira

Besides which, I'd like to feel safe walking around with no shoes on!

About the insulin... a friend of mine who's diabetic has this plastic little thing that injects it into his side, very quick and easy and non-obtrusive... I don't know what it is exactly, haven't had a close look at it, but it sure isn't a syringe. I'm not saying that diabetics don't ever use syringes for their insulin, but I don't think it's the only way. If you're unsure about the options ask your doctor, s/he would know better than me about that.

Wira: yeah, I am very clear with respect

to my options. I keep in pretty good contact

with advances in all areas.

I've tried other options and find that

disposable syringes are the best option for

a number of reasons.

[snip]

I just wrote a *long* list of reasons

behind my preferences but realised that it

wasn't really of much use to non-insulin

users :-)

I'll just point out that when you

have to inject non-voluntarily four times

a day, you really get to know what best

suits you (sort of like compulsive

masterbators I guess ;-) )

The disposable needle-end on the devices

I think you are refering to (have a look at http://www.insulinpen.com/view.asp?ID=2038

- there are also pre-packed variation on

this device) are a nightmare as they easily

go missing and when they do tend to point

up 90 degrees from the surface they are

sitting on and so when you step on them go

in *really* deep.

Bleah - only an idiot would leave syringes

around anyhow.

Originally posted by Torsten:

We are well aware of the heat (you try running around doing stuff all day rather than just sitting and listening wink.gif) and are confident this will make a big difference.

actually last year i did a lot of running and hurdling and climbing and racing shroomy to the next stand of fungi which we felt compelled to 'examine and catalogue'. this year i've been acclimatising myself in the hothouse - it got up to 52 degrees today and the poppies, cacti, henbane etc are still coping.

Until you told me this somnif I never understood why it was some ppl chose to continue to use syringes when an option that seemed easier was available. It makes more sense now, thanks.

The things the media never tell you...

only an idiot would leave syringes around anyhow

An understatement. You'd think syringe users would have the good taste to at least pursue their own interests in ensuring access to their desired mode of administration. And thus not leave them lying round for ppl to step on, fear accidental stabs when playing in the sand, or feature hugely in headline, talkback and commercial broadcasts.

But, as mindless consumers like so many others in different areas, many refuse to accept the consequence of their own actions.

Guest wira

Yeah, unfortunately idiots aren't exactly in short supply in this world, even when it comes to entheogen enthusiasts.

[there's no snipe at anyone here intended in that]

At times I've considered a path to some

sort of practical reuse of old syringes,

one of my ideas is as follows:

Super-glue a matrix of 15 by 15 of used

syringes together, then once dry extend

each of the plungers out as far as they

will go. Next press plungers against

face, genitals or any other area you

wish to make a lasting impression off.

(not unlike those strange toys you used

to press your hand into, leaving a 3-D

image)

Dah-dar! There you have it, an interesting

artistic piece to give ya' nan for Christmas.

Err, perhaps not.

Or maybe tie them together with the sharp bits pointing out and you have a beeeuutifuul festive star decoration for your Xmas tree!

Sounds like a good idea for a booklet a la' Family Circle. Pity you can't knit with them or the possibilities would be endless