The Corroboree
hypnotoad

Longest word in Afrikaans language, 136 letters with a hilarious meaning!

Afrikaans

Words in the Afrikaans language can at times be particularly long due to the compounding nature of the language. According to the Total Book of South African Records, the longest word in the language is [1] Tweedehandsemotorverkoopsmannevakbondstakingsvergaderingsameroeperstoespraakskrywerspersverklaringuitreikingsmediakonferensieaankondiging (136 letters), which means issuable media conference's announcement at a press release regarding the convener's speech at a secondhand car dealership union's strike meeting.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org

Unions can be so frustrating like that!

• Like 1

Did you try to say it outloud?

I did lol.. What a tounge twister.

^^LOL, I was going to try but then I realized theirs no point, as I can't speak African :lol:

Afrikaans, not african haha. Afrikaans is more like dutch.

• Like 1

are you meant to say that all in one breath?

Afrikaans, not african haha. Afrikaans is more like dutch.

Haha, I wasn't sure I just saw the bit saying south Africa & assumed it must be a language used in Africa, Doesn't matter either way I can speak any of those languages :lol:

Edited by Jox

Haha, I wasn't sure I just saw the bit saying south Africa & assumed it must be a language used in Africa, Doesn't matter either way I can speak any of those languages :lol:

Fair! I have no idea why a language resembling dutch would be spoken in South Africa anyway.

• Like 1

I got as far as Tweedehandsemotor and gave up, deciding that learning Afrikaans is on the top of my list of 'Things I will never surrender my intelligence to'. Good for a laugh though. There's probably about 130 characters in the english translation, just easier to read and say.

• Like 1

Nice one.

dutch east india trading company, probably an old dutch settlement in south africa. I have british coins from south africa