The Corroboree
Anodyne

found nice coarse sharp sand

post-313-0-14946800-1366103060_thumb.jpg

A mate of mine discovered that Bunnings stock beautiful coarse sand in their construction section (with the sacks of cement, etc). It's not washed, but it only seems to be coated with a small amount of clay - doesn't taste salty (kids don't try this at home) and tested pH-neutral with my limited testing methods. They also sell washed sand, but it looked much finer. It's easy enough to wash the clay off - much easier than sifting crap sand! - and my friend pointed out that many plants would probably like a tiny bit of clay anyway.

post-313-0-88780300-1366103272_thumb.jpg

Best part is that it's only $6.50 for a 20kg sack, which makes it less than a quarter the price of their "propagating sand". I know you could get it much cheaper in bulk, but this is good for smallish amounts. The range of particle sizes is roughly the same as their prop-sand (~0.5-5mm at a guess), but overall there are more of the larger particles.

I really shoulda paid more attention to the description though - relevant words being "coarse" & "sharp". Ow, my bleeding hands. You plants had better appreciate this! :lol:

• Like 2

Been using it for a season now, and have potted up some washed and some unwashed... Definite compacting in the unwashed stuff but the plants aren't minding it a season in. I'd prefer to wash it but my work conditions make it hard whilst potting up... And yep use a trowel!!

Edit; thanks for the PH info

D00d

Edited by thed00dabides

Ah, nice discovery (especially handy for large-scale gardening!), and it's great to know the pH of that particular product.

Thanks for sharing i will keep an eye out for this one.

i get mine from a river :wink: