The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Skulking Lurker

A. Longifolia

I've been thru that are before, and found several species that all had elongated foliage. Unfortunately, I think that they are all natives to WA, as they only have one main vein running down the length of the leaf (phyllode?)

The A. longifolia I have at home has two veins down the leaf.

Could someone confirm this ?

Any other stands around Perth ? Remembering that it is a weed species in WA.

It's alright, I've found a single specimen. Quite a good one too. Had to examine about 60 lookalikes though. Thanks creach.

hey dude, wait until winter b4 you harvest.

we can do it together.

what does a longifolia seedling look like?

what shape are the first few leaves?

a pic would be great thanks....anyone

nice pic...

can anyone help me with finding Obstisifolia near sydney?

I've been up the mountains a few times with not much success...

i thought spiral meant the first few leaves on a new seedling.

t s t .

Cosmic Debris. Best identified when in flower. smiley_169.gif

.......And yes t st tantra, it was asked that a photo be of a seedling, but I didn't find one, so to at least give some indication as to how they look, the photos chosen will have to do for now. smiley_221.gif

I haven't seen a baby longifolia for a couple of years, but from memory they are fairly standard looking Acacia seedlings - dark green bipinnate leaves followed by extension of phyllodes.

Skulking Lurker, I imagine that the plants you found at the back of Murdoch were Acacia saligna. The are quite distinct from longifolia, having much longer (and more variable) foliage- is it correct to say foliage when referring to phyllodes? - and usually being darker green and not growing as large.

[ 19. March 2003, 19:59: Message edited by: creach ]

nope he was right. murdoch does have them - near the student village as escapees

elsewhere on capmup you may mistakenly pick a saligna and A cyclops , probaly another couple of species though

A longifolia seems to be much more widespread in the lower southwest either in jarrah forest - usually associated with the movement of soil ie on the edges of roads or near human habitation where it has escaped into bushland or wasteland

Yes, murdoch does have them, Skulking Lurker just said he couldn't find them but could find some natives.

As you said the southwest area right on the edge of the carpark is where you will find them. Where are the cyclops you speak of Rev? I have never seen any at murdoch, or anywhere so far east.

I must be looking in the wrong place. :rolleyes: There's heaps of the wrong ones there. Several species in fact.

I have found one, but it was quite deep in a bush area on the grounds of the uni.

I've had better success locating along highways and major roads. Most of them are quite young plants. About a metre. smiley_221.gif

I know exactly where at least one longifolia is because I noticed it last year when it was flowering. Instructions from memory:

There is a road going up the hill towards the uni, on the south side of the Tav/Bookshop area, past the Kulbardi centre and up to the Economics and Humanities areas. On the south side of that road there is some bush/pine plantation. Right on the edge of that road, about 1/3 of the way up, there is one Acacia longifolia.

Otherwise, you're welcome to some material from the one at my house.

i have found a longifolia lookalike with 3 ridges on the leaves. could this be longifolia? the floers dont look quite as bright or numerous....