The Corroboree
mindperformer

Psychoactive and other botanical PERFUMEs

Very interesting thread.

I've just added a few Cistus ladanifer plants to the SAB webstore.

This species is a botanical source of labdanum.

I'm impressed with the fast completion of the SAB store with perfume plants! Really a great addition!

To cite Daniel Rühlemann, about Cistus ladanifer: "The particular suitability of the leaves as fixative (binding agent for scents), it gave proof of, recently: The leaves smelled wonderful like roses, only because a mother plant of Geranium 'Attar of Roses' stood next to it."

The Labdane in it is regarded as the largest odorant molecule known with 20 carbon atoms, anomalous regarding the 18-carbon rule.

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 2

One of the most unique odors of ethnobotanicals has Mondia whytei- root, which is used in Africa for many purposes, including aphrodisiac.

It has a bitter-sweet dry scent which is like a mix of burned mannitol with vanilla

The component responsible for the odor is 2-hydroxy-4-methoxybenzaldehyde (a potent tyrosinase inhibitor, structural related to vanilline). There was also found the rare chlorinated coumarinolignan 5-chloropropacin and 1-2% volatile oil.

The plant was shown to have androgenic effects and antidepressant-like activity and is used throughout Africa, except the North, mainly as stimulant, aphrodisiac, analgesic, stomachic, to flavour beer and to treat stress and tension. In Gabon the dried powdered roots enter in magico-religious mixtures because of their fragrance. The leaves are considered edible.

• Like 1

Recently a girlfriend asked me if I could make an antidepressant aroma-therapeutic agent. I've read many studies on the antidepressant effect of essential oils and found 14 plants:

especially Lemon (Citrus limon), Eukalypt, Rosemary, Patchouli and Saffron (Tibet)

additionally Calamus, Clary sage, Orange, Lavender, Lemongrass (Bhutan), Sandalwood (New Caledonia), Petitgrain (Citrus aurantium), Olibanum (Oman) and Cedar

so I made a composition of them in various amounts. It has a headnote with a radiating and mind-clearing and very citrus-like bouquet, followed by a heart of Olibanum and Clary sage and finally a complex basenote, dominated by Sandalwood and Calamus.

On me and three other testers it really has very balancing, antidepressant, refreshing and at the same time mellowing action on the mind.

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

hey mm, have you got the recipe for gundel gaukeley's (magica de spell) hyptnotic perfume aswell? i'd like that one.

How do you think does Lagochilus inebrians smell?

It always reminds me slightly on urine, besides the resiny intoxicating scent, which is spearmint-catnip-laurel-camphor-like, also like Metaxa spirit, also has accents of dried raisins and roses.

Besides the diterpene alcohols (Lagochilin) it has a high terpineol content (like laurel).

Lagochilin does not have an odor (?), because it has 20 carbon atoms.

There is the 18 carbons rule: Molecules with more than 18 carbon atoms cannot have an odor because they are too heavy and too less volatile. The heaviest odor molecules are the musks (Ambrettolide, Muscone, Exaltolide).

Regarding this rule there are very few exceptions: Labdane from Labdanum is one, it is regarded as the largest odorant with 20 carbons! The pheromones Androstenol, Androstenone and Androstadienone have 19 carbon atoms.

Edited by mindperformer

hey mm, have you got the recipe for gundel gaukeley's (magica de spell) hyptnotic perfume aswell? i'd like that one.

Sorry, I can't help you with this recipe, but maybe Dagobert can ;-)

Edited by mindperformer

lago smells a bit like boswellia sacra, doesn't it.

my above post was an attempt to be humorous, in case you are not familiar with the character gundel gaukeley, and not to be taken serious.

Edited by planthelper

a movie that fits Adaptation:

Trailer:

Plant of desire is the scent of the ghost orchid Dendrophylax lindenii

lago smells a bit like boswellia sacra, doesn't it.

my above post was an attempt to be humorous, in case you are not familiar with the character gundel gaukeley, and not to be taken serious.

do you mean Boswellia sacra leaves? I can't find the Olibanum-resin smell in Lagochilus but I never smelled Boswellia sacra- leaves. For me Olibanum is more resiny-balsamic-citrus-like.

I understand, the ducks were too long ago ;-)

Edited by mindperformer

In Oz you have an intense-frangipani-like smelling plant: Hymenosporum flavum

Rühlemanns recently started selling the odor-plant as 'Australian Frangipani'

Labdanum should not be mixed up with Laudanum ;-)

...then we have more 'anums' like Olibanum and Galbanum

The old-famous Laudanum also has its very own scent from various components like poppies, saffron, juniper, cloves, coriander, camphor and henbane root.

The original Coca-Cola got its scent from cocaleaf, colanut and essential oils from cinnamon, lemon, orange, nutmeng, coriander, neroli and vanilla.

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

My latest creations include Androstenol, Androstenone and Androstadienone in the musk- accord.

I had this for long time in the fridge and now it came to my mind again...

Edited by mindperformer

Hey MP

Just wondering if you have any experience with Helichrysum foetidum.

Here is an interesting thread about its psychoactive vapours.

This thread also briefly mentions Teucrium melans as another active plant inhalant.

Helichrysum foetidum is a very interesting plant, also the thread you have linked. I heard of it long time ago, Rätsch also mentions it, but I never experienced with it, but I will make good for it.

I do use the essential oil of the related, but European Helichrysum italicum (Immortelle), wich has a lifting effect on me.

I think the effects must be similar to another Southafrican plant: Alepidea amatymbica, which is steadily gaining popularity. It really has a psychoactive scent and I have used it in perfumes.

According to this study: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305197811000470

...the main constituent of Helichrysum foetidum is the kaurene-type diterpene kaur-16-en-18-oic acid

The main constituents of Alepidea amatymbica are also kaurene-type diterpenes like ent-16-kaurene-19-oic acid, which is synonymous with kaur-16-en-19-oic acid: http://www.plantzafrica.com/medmonographs/alepideaatym.pdf

Alepidea amatymbica-root (very hazy and aromatic):

2zy92cp.jpg

Teucrium melans was a typing error from Guest_Thelema, I think.

Teucrium marum (cat thyme) has indeed a psychoactive smell on me, once I had it as plant, but maybe I am allergic to it, for me it was really irritating and I was sneezing after inhaling the scent of the fresh leaves. I made a tincture, maybe this will be less irritating.

It contains (among others) the new clerodane-diterpene Teumarin B, Nepetalactones and the methylcyclopentanoid monoterpene Teucrein. It has attractive effects on cats.

My Teucrium marum- plants:

2ur1ic6.jpg

4q0hhe.jpg

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

do you mean Boswellia sacra leaves? I can't find the Olibanum-resin smell in Lagochilus but I never smelled Boswellia sacra- leaves. For me Olibanum is more resiny-balsamic-citrus-like.

I understand, the ducks were too long ago ;-)

no i mean the resin (weihrauch), of boswellia sacra.

there are many different kinds and qualities, maybe greek olibanum smoke is a component of lagochilus smell

Edited by mindperformer

fresh picked violet flowers of which the R-alpha-Ionone is the main odor component:

b3ol92.jpg

and a shamanic plant from the Amazon rainforest, Anamu (Petiveria alliacea) in flower (the leaves smell like garlic and burned peanuts, the flowers have a sweet scent):

2akbchy.jpg

also a psychoactive aromatic and highly valued plant: Costus (Saussurea lappa):

2z9iln4.jpg

Costus root has its native range in the Himalaya and a complex animalic musk-hair-like, strong odor. It contains an alkaloid (Saussurine) with sedative anticolvulsant action. The plant is also regarded as aphrodisiac and bronchodilatory. The main odor compounds are Costunolide and Costol.

It should be only bought with certificate from cultivation, because the wild plant is endangered.

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

The smell, which cats like most:

The japanese Matatabi (Actinidia polygama), related to the kiwi but with smaller yellow-orange fruits. The whole plant is very attracting on cats and it is said to be a tranquilizer for lions. A few years ago I got the stems and fruitpowder from Japan and on 4 cats from friends it had a much more pronounced effect than valerian, catnip or cat thyme.

Actinidia polygama is also said to have euphoric effect on humans, which to my experience is weak.

Actinidia polygama-stem 24-times:

33tms7q.jpg

and the seed:

2ahwt54.jpg

I wonder if there is anybody who tried Helichrysum foetidum AND Alepidea amatymbica. As they contain the same main constituents, a comparison would be interesting. I only know Alepidea.

The same phytochemicals does not mean they are congeneric. Regarding the taxonomy, its not only another genus, but also another family and order. Only the clade Asterids is the same.

mindperformer - I'm interested to know your favorite rose oil varieties.

Personally, I'd have to include some form of rose in an antidepressant blend :)

MP seems I was mistaken in thinking the ghost orchid was Oncidium cebolleta. This seems as good a place as any to ask if you have any experience with this rumoured-but-never-proven-psychoactive orchid?

mindperformer - I'm interested to know your favorite rose oil varieties.

Personally, I'd have to include some form of rose in an antidepressant blend :)

I use organic rose oil from an unknown variety and for even more flowery lovely compositions an 80%-alcohol tincture from Rosa zentifolia buds

MP seems I was mistaken in thinking the ghost orchid was Oncidium cebolleta. This seems as good a place as any to ask if you have any experience with this rumoured-but-never-proven-psychoactive orchid?

Maybe in the book, did you read it?

I only saw the movie and the orchid shown was indeed the ghost orchid (Dendrophylax lindenii)

I never tried my driy Oncidium cebolleta bulbs, so I can't say if it has some effects. The plant is easy to get in orchid stores.

Edited by mindperformer

according to newer studies, indicating that the psychoactive component of olibanum is Incensole acetate, the highest content has Boswellia papyrifera- resin:

2u8w55g.jpg

I made a two-phase extraction with petroleum ether (pure "Waschbenzin", a purely nonpolar solvent, mailny Hexan and Heptan) and 80% alcohol to dissolve the gums. The Incensole acetate (20-50%) extract was isolated by evaporation of the petroleum ether- phase. It was a yellowish clear semi-liquid oleo-resin with a weak olibanum smell. The smell is weak because Incensole and Incensole acetate are not volatile (too heavy with C20) and most of the other volatiles were evaporated during damping off the petroleum ether.

The Incensole acetate can not be dissolved in alcohol, is not volatile, and so is not suitable for the perfumes, but it can be vaporized as incense, like olibanum itself.

1609e8.jpg

Edited by mindperformer