The Corroboree
space cadet swami

Tabernaemontana undulata : bechette ... Grow log.

this was my plant two months ago

post-12907-0-05726300-1386597475_thumb.p

It's still growing new leaves, but the others have dropped off. I've taken it outside to harden it off, let's hope it doesn't die :)

post-12907-0-05726300-1386597475_thumb.png

post-12907-0-05726300-1386597475_thumb.png

• Like 1

If anyone is interested in T. Australis, T Elegans or T. Coronaria, PM me I've got some spare seed for someone with experience growing them.

Edited by gunfighter
  • Like 2

Here's mine which has rejuvenated in the hothouse. When I repotted it the roots wrapping around the pot where the size of my pinky

post-9832-0-05963000-1386658235_thumb.jp

I'm afraid to start hardening it into a greenhouse but I think in a week or so ill have too. Or should I assume they enjoy the same conditions as the psycotrias who are thriving in the hothouse? The upturned leaves in it make me think its a bit too warm...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey gunfighter im pretty new to gardening and growing plants in general but I have been interested in the Tabernaemontana sp. for a while now for its relation to Iboga (Im actually growing an Iboga). Id be interested in seeds of any of those three. I haven't got much of a clue how to grow them though, and I don't have a hothouse (which would probably be needed I think) But if you gave me instructions on how to grow them id follow them to a T :)

My plants been outta the hothouse and on the lightly lit balcony for a few mths now. It slowed growth and shed some growing tips but it making a comeback with more growing tips now... A proper greenhouse would be ideal for here but seems to be happy, albeit slow growing!

I posted a bug ID here for it if anyone can help! http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37952

An interesting thing I noticed tho is once the plant reach a certain height and maturity white sap now pores out of broken leaves and stems. You could slowly collect the resin like one would wild lettuce, the next step is how much per go lol, you could easily 50/50 each drop of sap with water, it's produced a fair bit, someone's just gotta be brave enough lol! Here's a pic of a tiny rip on a leaf and the large sap pile

post-9832-0-63892500-1394926411_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by prioritise
  • Like 1

I'd be interested to know if anyone has experience growing Tab's from cuttings. I've had repeated failures with undulata cuttings in an extremely predictable way - they behave like healthy iboga cuts for a week or two, drop most of their leaves, keep up with healthy looking growth as if they're quickly taking off, then at about the 3 week mark fall apart with a weird white "fuzz" that looks like a burst of aphids or some such and quickly die.

Off forum poisonshroom confirms that the same thing has happened to him with two other Tab species.

I have some that have just recently turned, hopefully they're still worthy of photos in the morning. I shall also take a picture of the plant spacey left in my care, which has been in the ground for almost a year and is doing just grand.

We'll my baby got scorched by heat and as it was recovering got raped by mealy bugs :'( R.I.P. tabby

This girl's probably past 5' tall with an impressive spread :) Photo shoot tomorrow.

EDIT: mixed up plant gender.

Edited by endorfinder
  • Like 1

I've done Tabernaemontana Australis cuttings successfully. Don't know if this helps you endorfinder.

These were both grown from cuttings. I had another 2 that I've since given away. I had 4 successful out of maybe 9 cuttings?

post-8332-0-14120600-1395352405_thumb.jp

post-8332-0-14120600-1395352405_thumb.jpg

post-8332-0-14120600-1395352405_thumb.jpg

Oh those look great, I'm 0 for 7 with undulata so far :(

@PS what species have you had issue with?

EF, I've been posting about these little fuzz/scale/blobs in the ethno forum under "pest ID". So far nobody seems to know what it is, but it's always been on my plant since it arrived from spacey.

Did your plant shed any leaves last winter or stay nice and bushy?

Always nice and bushy, not much of a winter here. Will check out your pest ID thread but should see what PS has to say since he complains of the same thing on two other species in the genus?

Hard to post a photo without putting half the property in the frame unfortunately, that's how big she's gotten. Just under six feet at her highest branches without aid.

The leaves are yellowing a bit despite decent fertilising with dynamic lifter and seasol. I wonder if this mystery bugs have anything to do with it. I checked my cutting humidity tub earlier and an unrelated gardenia cutting had also succumbed to the same nasties after being in a closed environment with the undulatas.