The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Darwin Awards 2002

NOt real funny! Some tragic things.... good to think about.....

Brian, I think these ARE funny. There are no real tragedies here. The very basis of the darwin Award is that you had to be REALLY stupid to make it onto the list. These are not unfortunate circumstances, but simply careless or stupid people who are fortunate enough to have only caused their own death rather than killing a whole heap of people around them with their stupidity.

If any of these were based on bad luck then I would have a very different attitude. You would be well aware that our current society is very much above natural selection due to our very protected lifestyles and unnatural (ie non darwinian) breeding habits. So it is good to see that there is at least some natural selection going on that may counter the effect of this weakening gene pool.

Torsten:

Brian, I think these ARE funny. There are no real tragedies here. The very basis of the darwin Award is that you had to be REALLY stupid to make it onto the list. These are not unfortunate circumstances, but simply careless or stupid people who are fortunate enough to have only caused their own death rather than killing a whole heap of people around them with their stupidity.

If any of these were based on bad luck then I would have a very different attitude. You would be well aware that our current society is very much above natural selection due to our very protected lifestyles and unnatural (ie non darwinian) breeding habits. So it is good to see that there is at least some natural selection going on that may counter the effect of this weakening gene pool.

i agree with the latter Torsten.

I do my best not to laugh at someones misfortunes espcially when it's tragic.... look if someone slips and falls in a heap of cow poo when a little drunk, I'll laugh,...but'll also ask myself ,who am I hanging around with!

someone's drunk and tries to the furthest of a highstory balcony ,miscalculates and falls over to it' s death.... it's tragic, ...not something I would laugh about.

why is stupidity not tragic?

[ 06. February 2003, 07:27: Message edited by: brian ]

brian:

why is stupidity not tragic?

all death is tragic. but true tragedy is when someone innocent dies through no fault of their own. in a society where many people are killed by the stupidity of others, i see it as sweet, poetic justice when FINALLY someone's stupidity kills nobody but themselves. isn't that truly the least tragic way to die?

btw i think the darwin awards are flawed because evolution in our society favours stupidity.

Guest electro

torsten: - agreed

also.. death is not tradgic .. it's the natural progression...

what would be tradgic is everyone living forever to see the carnage our cancer like species ends up reaping on our host (earth).

Our society has conditioned us to believe that death is some evil thing to be feared, hell it even attempts to make death (the most natural thing next to breathing and being born) a mystical concept... Think about it.. how many dead people have you seen before someone did their makeup to make them look like they are "just sleeping". Open cascets arent even all that common, with closed and cremation more prevalent. How can you come to terms properly with something you havent had propper contact with ?

Death isnt tradgic at all, it's just misunderstood.

In the meantime the less idiots around to injure my loved ones or mjyself the better .....

(sorry to sound so negative .. am not attacking anyone here, just stating a point of view)

Uhhh, I just find it concerning to waste time with things that are mega dumb....

that's what I actually found tragic.... about tht site.

I mean those people probably never stopped and listened.....and ran their train of the rails... reminds me of an Ozzy song.

TWIX ... heheh, no one is innocent! Can you become the ultimate no one?

Never meant that death is tragic.... just the that thinkin it is a lauging matter is tragic..

"""In the meantime the less idiots around to injure my loved ones or mjyself the better ....."""

Not negative at all! Just tough love!

*So I agree with Twix and Electro.

--------------------------------------------------

A way back friend of mine, his little brother commited suicicde not to long ago.... I drew my conclusions.

"The way that family functioned....." "scary!" "Showing little understanding of life!"

I tried to open up this guy once,..... just by going deep with him,..... Absolutely "0" deepness. METAL music & beer was this guy's life back then....

I am sure that this event in his life will make a chnge..... hopefully he will do nothin drastic to himself... I am speaking of a guy who would burn himself with the hot end of a lighter or burning for pleasure....., or speak of killing and raping Completely psycho... no feeling for life...

Whoa, now that I remind myself, this guy is truely scary.....

his mantras were basically all the DEATH METAL bands lyrics.....