The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
alkaloidal

"Melbourne-Hardy" Ethnos?

A lot of interesting ethno's require tropical conditions that melbourne can't offer without the use of "artificial help", such as a greenhouse.

My little greenhouse is going to be full of these tropical plants very soon, so I'm looking for various ethnobotanicals that I can plant in the ground around the house, and know that they will survive without me having to constantly baby them.

So please post some suggestions!

So far the "hardier" plants I have are:

-Delosperma cooperi

-Heimia salicifolia

-Catha Edulis

-Brug. Aurea

-Acacia spp.

? Rivea Corymbosa* Stated to survive in usda zone 9b, but I may move this to greenhouse over winter, or will it survive fine outside?

Edited by alkaloidal

rivea doesnt do alot outside mate, its very slow unless in a hothouse and usuallly dies in winter, sometimes returns in spring other times it does nothing....

psychotria carthagensis grows well where i am...gets alittle distraught over winter but survives and come back in spring crazy..

ephedra species do well if kept dry pot over winter.

B caapi usually dies off deciduous in winter sometimes comes back, viridis is a hassle as is iboga can be done, if your lucky it will go deciduous and return in spring.bit like trying to grow rivea corymbosa.

datura and sida species grow like charms this way.

lagochilian inebrians grows fine also.

withania somniferum.

erthyloxlum australe as does splityard creek does well also but goes deciduous, and has a slow return of leaves very slow growing in vic.

calea zacatechichi can some time go abit sickly over winter depending on its position alittle shelter does it better in winter..but grows well spring summer months.

trichos you can stick in your garden anywhere....provided there free draining..

these are some of plants i got far south(4 hours south of melb and very coastal) in my VIC garden off the top of my head that do ok without any protection.

Edited by applesnail
  • Like 1

Thanks applesnail!

How do you think leonotis Leonurus will go outside?

Edited by alkaloidal

i myself have never grown it..but ive seen it growing in gardens around here like crazy it always in bloom in summer so does fine...i threw awhole heap of seeds(leonorus) in the garden with no care but none germinated they probably dried out...ive also seen it growing in bendigo at the botanical gardens so definately grows in victoria...

Leonotis will grow itself, just water occasionally, once it seeds in spring they will be sprouting everywhere without you having to do anything.

You might have luck with Anadenhantera columbrina if you grow it up in a greenhouse or even indoors first. Worth the effort.

Depending on the plant you could always make some of them house plants. There is also a bunch of health benefits to this too and they look nice.