The Corroboree
alkaloidal

Large Cactus {ID}

Question

My friend is growing this cactus, he has several large "clumps" of it around the house. It's too bad I missed getting a photo of it in flower, although he tells me that some of them are throwing off new flowers now.

Just wondering what it might be:

GzMWxxh.jpg

G6rUGph.jpg

5QDlI3N.jpg

4eW4PWh.jpg

F8jQNvY.jpg

JFP7V6A.jpg

10 answers to this question

Yep, looks like T. Spachianus to me. What color were the flowers? Spachianus has white flowers as far as I know.

yep and thats a nice one.. I've never seen a Spachianus that tall! (Golden Torch) very nice!
Just in a quick search, Im reading they are supposed to get around 7 feet tall

I've got 18 Spach seedlings atm plus an albino one recently grafted... Im curious as to how fast they grow cause I think they'd make a beautiful long term grafting stock but also its a pretty plant in general...

Nice!

• Like 1

They are really good graft stock in my experience, except they are really spiny.

• Like 1

apparently the fruit is edible and quite tasty?

• Like 1

I've heard that all triches have pretty tasty fruit, at least Juuls and some others... I think Los Gentiles Peruvianus also is know for its "Pithaya"

I'm surprised I don't see more grafts on these, perhaps because the PC's are the mose suitable and readily available..... I have a little cutting of a spachianus that came as a gift and they are spiny alright but quite easy to handle... they are strong spines but also not so sharp, like you'd have to really try to hurt yourself on a spach

I would gladly handle a spachianus anyday over a pereskiopsis lol

Yep, looks like T. Spachianus to me. What color were the flowers? Spachianus has white flowers as far as I know.

Yep the flowers are white.

Thanks everyone for the id!

yep and thats a nice one.. I've never seen a Spachianus that tall! (Golden Torch) very nice!

Just in a quick search, Im reading they are supposed to get around 7 feet tall

I've got 18 Spach seedlings atm plus an albino one recently grafted... Im curious as to how fast they grow cause I think they'd make a beautiful long term grafting stock but also its a pretty plant in general...

Nice!

My friend has another cluster around the front of his house that is now 15 years, with at least 10 separate columns. The largest, just taller than the roof of the house, fell over on the weekend, most likely due to the massive amount of flowers on it.

In regards to how fast they grow, I recently took a small pup from the bottom that had a few of it's own roots, cut it in half and planted both halves in the ground. Now, ~3 weeks later, the bottom half has already calloused over and thrown off a pup which is now already very large, I'll take a photo soon.

Edited by alkaloidal
  • Like 1

spachianus has white flower t.huasca red.

think they grow similar.

button graft to spach is good,

Tipz graft is rocking.

spach is pretty prolifc

• Like 1

button graft to spach is good,

Tipz graft is rocking.

spach is pretty prolifc

• Like 1