The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

Lotus plant Nelumbo sp

use a power tool instead, stillman (angle grinder, with disc, belt sander, orbit sander, vibration sander) and just watch your fingers, hehehe.

I did the rest with a orbital sander PH was sweet as took about 20 minutes and only took a tiny bit of finger off. lol

Edited by Stillman

thanks ph good idea... for 100% germination in 24hrs it's worth it.

Not a lotus Night flowering water lilly

DSCF2005_zpsf3987694.jpg

Lotus Nursery

DSCF2010_zpsd0711095.jpg

I know not ideal but they germinated and grew alot quicker then I anticipated.

This lot I have decide to do some experimental "bonsaiing" or what they call Tea cup lotus. Not sure if it will work as it appears this cv wants to be tall. Anyway a bit of fun,

Also got some seeds in from OS so will give them a soak over the next few days.

• Like 1

Stillman is "bonsaiing" just a matter of trimming the stems? I have a seed that's sitting in 4" water on my desk with the intention of placing it in a fish tank, but it insists on growing to "full" size anyway.

I think there are certain cv that just are going to be massive, but from googling around the lotus plant is severely limited in growth potential by the environment it is kept. It would be getting the perfect restricted size that would be tricky I imagine, just big enough to allow full development with out affecting flowering leaf development etc?

• Like 1

The "Tea cup" variety's are all true dwarfs which helps with stunting them to an extreme because they are much smaller in habit to start with.

You should get one maybe two seasons out of those tubs before the stunting kills your lotus, they will need some leg room.

They can successfully be grown in an aquarium as long as they have sufficient room & light, the last time i grew one in a fish tank it was a common ole pink growing in a 3000L tank out in the sun.

• Like 2

I've tried restricting size by germinating in water... the idea is for this one to end out in a fish tank. Perhaps I need a true dwarf variety as shortly says...

I'm hoping they will take them through till next summer when I will have some troughs built, assuming I haven't killed them.lol

I think a couple are starting to throw an aerial leaf maybe. What sort of pot size do you think is acceptable Shortly?

I have a few in shallow ten inch pots? I thought this would be OK for a year or so depending on how vigorous I guess.

Pot size, BIG. I tried growing them on cut down 200L drums but they just fizzle out without sufficient room. The only time i have had success with pots is when the plants were allowed to escape, otherwise just tossing 15-25cm of media in the bottom of the pond & let them loose.

I've had one completely fill & become root bound in a 2.5 m2 pond in a season, it probably could have put on a lot more growth if it had more room.

There was a few dwarf variety's doing the rounds in the 90's, It would be worth hunting around to see how many are still circulating?

Do you know much about the Chinese hybrids?

And did they die right back in winter?

I'm thinking I might commandeer a large portion of space at work to drop some barrels. Boss loves my weirdness lol.

I know squat about the Chinese hybrids, there was only really a few Thai, Japanese & US variety's around in the 90's

They all die right back in winter, the nucifer variety's more so than the lutea hybrids.

That sounds like a plan, stick them out near the kids play room, then i can sus them out the next time i'm down there.

Barrels are a tad small except for the miniatures, I would go with 500L fiberglass squat pots so they can flower & impress the punters.

Or gardencity plastics had a 500 or it might have been a 1000L plastic pot without drainage holes.

Nice I might see if the boss wants to pay for some. You recon they would get enough sun, or should I put a few in the car park?

Dunno, its fairly bright out the back there but i've only been there for lunches, never in the morning when it counts.

It gets Hot thats for sure and you get morning sun, I'll give it a go, might put some desert roses and stuff up there too. Maybe some trichos. Would look pretty good in the right spot.

Not a bad idea, its a bit bland & sterile ATM.

Dunno about anything with spines though? Bit of an insurance nightmare.

Yeah good point, but Lotus would look awesome, I was thinking about growing a flowering vine on the big wood fence I recon that would look great in flower.

^ Is that in your garden Stillman? All of you plants always look so healthy. You also take good photos.

Yeah thats in the bathtub pond. We have had alot of rain so everything is green at the moment.

Thats water poppy Stillman, Hydrocleys nymphoides from south america. Not native but it is naturalized.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried growing phalaris in water ponds?

Edit: yeah getting a bit off topic, but I've been playing around with companion plants...

Edited by endorfinder

Alot of the lotus seedlings keep floating out of their pots. Its very annoying. I think i will get some clay and weigh them down.