The Corroboree
theuserformallyknownasd00d

What did you do in your sacred garden today?

Tried to post some pix of my plants on here but im having problems doing that. Please can anyone give me guidence on how to post pix on this site.

Ah thanks mate! Way to expensive for an Aussie! I reckon I could build it bases on principles but defiantly not aesthetics!

always a pleasure and yeah was way too expensive for me for the year i was eyeing it up but i managed to win a compensation cheque and that was my ticket

excellent , go for it and there's definitely room for improvement on them

for a start ya cant open a front door and the bigger it gets , ...

the more likely topple factor will kick in when i tilt it to water and for general husbandry although it is all tongue and groove fit

also i have to get on a chair and reach down in it to wipe the condensation away and hop quickly off and photograph before it steams up again lol my backs bad enough now and im not even 35 yet , it would be a pain in the arse for an old gardener to use at that height i reckon unless they were super fit

since posting this i found as the temps equalised on the outside of the box to the temps inside :D

no condensation and a lovely view of the plants , at that stage i can keep adding water to the air and its like it disappears by magick just cs the warmer air can hold more water :3

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

dang what is it about the uk then? :unsure:

so far i can say for uk

amazoniaexotics on ebay are awesome, friendly and only horticultural side...and as lovely as all the awesome international sellers

and two others in the dales that seem to be more private and have less for sale ..so i wont mention names

there are some decent calea sellers on ebay from uk too but i kinda learned to avoid uk ethnoplant sellers im just so glad i found amazonia exotics

especially after the prior experience of budgeting so long 2+ yrs ago for my first 2 psychotria "viridis" (alba) leaves from the shop that google shows you first in the uk searches.... (that even that cool trichoserious site with all the sexy tricho pics; has a link to) ...which were fkn appauling :BANGHEAD2:

and id studied hardcore like a bitch to learn what to do to grow them...

I had to educate that seller ...(and a few of the other sellers outside of ebay like them; who charge the earth for very little in return/unviable/half good half bad orders/bad vibes with the aftercare-less, but particularly this one:) ...for sale of incorrectly id'd datura seeds and selling me unviable seeds of other species.. just 6 months into the ethnoplant hobby after watching james wong's bbc programs... at least half of the very cheapest things I got from them worked but what good was that back when i had fuck all?-where most start.

and after i learned nurserymen/women were the place to go in the uk for those who cared about the plants most: by finding cactus shop uk... i searched for others..

it was bleak and ...sadly one nursery quickly give out false accusations about my children's cacti ..

which gives me an idea of how magickal plant wanters here must be being treated too often,

somethings really quite oddly amiss over here in many of them's conduct , im not sure i can put my finger on it

Thank goodness for the internationals and the rare gems here.

the international ethnoplant scene is lovely *sends you all a big fat hug*,

especially:

zelly, mutant, australia -various inc SAB, mexico, china, cactus plaza, new caledonia, world seed supply, california-cept one bastardy one there,

brazil, peruu, equador, suriname, nicaragua, colombia, thailand, germany, france, spain, poland, hungary-cept one bastardy one there too, sweden...still waiting 2 months later for a czech loph seed order sadly...

despite their world leading loph reputation lol... but it seems most of the rest of the EU are lovely to deal with also

so glad i joined australis to make friends, and shroomery and nexus for info,

maybe its just old collonial bastards presence still lingering here in uk?

thatcher's encouraging folk to drink, rip each other off, cause each other unnecessary grief, view other humans as subordinates

and cause trouble for each other in some crazy one-up-manshit

with the breakdown of community attempts effects still yet to fade away? as if divide and rule wasn't the oldest trick in the book !

fuctifino... *raises cuppa tea for a toast* to the end of all that

and on a final note , I got a mail saying the virola arent ready yet again , so still edge-of-seat about them

Tried to post some pix of my plants on here but im having problems doing that. Please can anyone give me guidence on how to post pix on this site.

hello and welcome !

upload to your gallery and use the image link from the pic once uploaded and viewed

, or use the image link from another site you uploaded your pics to

its the only way i can do it so i dont know if there's another way

once youve been here a while tho it will allow you to go back and edit posts and add/take more pics and info etc if needs be

Im sure I only joined last month ...so it shouldnt be too long

kavas supa happy the degs has dropped . and her mate too ..

1609764_1421722358081996_715011818201157

1506059_1421722454748653_883178320521304

10168120_1421722458081986_88783523024423

• Like 6

hello and welcome !

upload to your gallery and use the image link from the pic once uploaded and viewed

, or use the image link from another site you uploaded your pics to

its the only way i can do it so i dont know if there's another way

once youve been here a while tho it will allow you to go back and edit posts and add/take more pics and info etc if needs be

Im sure I only joined last month ...so it shouldnt be too long

Thanx for your advice. Ive been trying to upload, im using my phone and im still having a problem uploading. Ill keep trying tho.

aaah, ive never used a phone for internet much more than google searches before i got a uni grant to get a laptop

maybe one of the other members will chime in with some experience, or maybe ask one of the moderators, Evil Genius is awesome, -the only one ive had to ask for anything before

I had some weeds once with horse manure: Panaeolus papilionaceus!

aww shame they werent the elusive "most common my ass" Panaeolus cinctulus/subalteatus

Ive not seen one in my whole life , and until 3 years ago; had been a hard working mushroom hunter , all year round for a span of 7 years

I love butterfly panaeolus though, there are hours of fun to be had; finding them on the lawn/spore printing them with the kids,

showing them the mottled gills and such :) and knowing full well there isn't a poisonous panaolus in existance

so letting them touch the mushrooms, dissect them centrally and learn all the different parts, even taste I.D.'ing them in full confidence that they are safe mushrooms, growing from a perfectly natural lawn that has been since the 60s;

which is a welcome break from the norm of "if in doubt , leave it out"

and so reliable in fruiting all year, the memory never fades for them.

the 13x13x13cm pots arrived yesterday so I re-potted all my salvias into one of them,

gallery_14443_767_385934.jpg

repotted the huge carthagenensis collection - all sold to me as viridis by uk sellers ..in another

gallery_14443_767_653707.jpg

same with the cacao if you can see it down there

gallery_14443_767_640905.jpg

and the 8 viridis rooted leaf cuts - from the one uk source of true viridis so far

gallery_14443_767_480468.jpg

I replaced the soil and re-potted most of the others into fresh pots the same size they were in 11x11x12.5cm

the calea,

gallery_14443_767_373629.jpg

psy nervosa,

gallery_14443_767_70098.jpg

voa africana.

gallery_14443_767_544888.jpg

Also into one of those size pots went my 2 muricata seedlings

gallery_14443_767_561628.jpg

I just added a top dressing to the 2 tunkunaka

gallery_14443_767_650368.jpg

and left the alicias

gallery_14443_767_171267.jpg

and coffea as they were

gallery_14443_767_601857.jpg

then i watered them slowly in with fresh rain using a 100ml barrel

I wrote some labels for the ones that didn't have one...

i mixed the soil using a handful of horticultural charcoal, 1 scoop of horticultural grit, 1 scoop of perlite, 1 scoop of john innes seed,

4 scoops of cheap equivalent of miracle grow compost with one scoop of aquarium sand folded into it

and a tip of a scoop of fish, blood and bone and went and dug last years bucket of phostrogen out in prep for every third downpour

and every third watering for everything else in containers

umm... I fed the nicotiana tabacum and brugmansias with miracle grow in rain

checked germinatia; the cacti, ophthalmocentra and datura metel seedlings - all doing well

gallery_14443_767_646320.jpg

I bonsai pruned the 2 mimosa tenuifloras

gallery_14443_767_517738.jpg

gallery_14443_767_374894.jpg

fed all the acacias indoor and out,

pinched the tips on the passifloras indoor and out.

In a gap in the rains i went outside and fertilized the acre and it's perimeter

also half potted up two huge flowering trichocereus that arrived today

gallery_14443_767_720486.jpg

• Like 6

Today I realised my watering system to my psychotrias wasn't working, probably for close to a mth as that's the last time I checked! The large ones were loving life, some of the youngsters were a bit light green and rusty but most were fine considering! Albeit, problem fixed and everything we'll drenched! Now just time to rid the ants and scale! Did 15 cappi cuttings and added to the greenhouse, repotted the mother and cut right back to almost a stump in prep for going in the ground.

Also potted up 15 trichs, then realised I have 60 to go, dredding that before I move house...

Acacias are getting huge for their pots, another 50odd to repot....

Nicatiana gossei is about to be ready for a seed harvest, maybe another week or so.

Everything else looks like shit because of mealies and too much rain so spent time rubbing away with the toothbrush

Also mentally prepared for a separation from a lot of plants as I plan to sell them before I move, buyers already lined up but I'm still not sure I can! There will be room for everything I reckon but the mrs also needs me to buy a standalone oven and our kitchen benches... It's tearing me up!

Edited by prioritise
  • Like 3

Now just time to rid the ants

I saw a tip on a youtube cactus video for ridding ants; a few drops of cinnamon bark oil (the one that's the strongest) on a cotton bud.

And where the ants cross paths; is where I put them last year and haven't had any ants since, they are uk ants though , only tiny things...

last nite she awoke

10247287_1423423501245215_11474237863113

• Like 9

I bought 4 virola seeds :P, fingers crossed they bring some joy

and 2 psychotria viridis leaf cuttings

a suspect psychotria i bought as viridis arrived from a uk seller that may just be a good one which is a potential redeeming quality for here

I enquired about some other psychotria viridis plants maybe i'll get a reply in the morning :3

I fed the toad and changed her water, brought her out to soak up some rays in the sun room

gallery_14443_767_535247.jpg

melted in 40 centigrade again listening to rainforest sounds and watching the plants lap it up in the sun room

gallery_14443_767_65378.jpg

gallery_14443_767_639357.jpg

gallery_14443_767_221680.jpg

i sang to the aya species and blew them some co2 whilst pouring as much love into it as I could muster :)

and smoked some solanum dulcamera and datura metel around them after I put the toad back in her room in the house

• Like 5

Whilst watering some Tricho seedlings I realized that my black caapi vine that I assumed was dead(since the heater in the greenhouse failed and it got down to 28F/-2C). It's now got a sprout a couple of cm's tall! Glad I didn't throw the pot out early

• Like 1

Today it rained like mad overnight and the gales battered my swan plants so restaked them and found out my windcheater is not exactly waterproof :scratchhead: then had a peek at my Calea z seeds that I had sown 24 hours ago, must stop looking lols. Checked my new Salvia d plants that arrived yesterday. They look really tatty and worse for wear but should perk up when I repot them later. Checked the Silene undulata seedlings on the windowsill, are they slow or what!

• Like 1

oh wow i feel ya and you too?

i sprouted 4 alicia in december-ish

2 died and flopped and as they exhaled their last breath then shortly after; came back from the dead! I even took pics but theyre on a hdd somewhere, I will add em at a later date

and now theyre starting to boost in the heat 4 inches high so far- the ones that came back from the dead , and 6-7 inches for the long standers..

also muricata took forever to germinate and seemed to know to show just before I went to throw the pot out :)

Today I fed everything with nematodes and appropriate feeds in rain water, switched all the drip hoses on to compensate for the lack of april showers and to water in the feeds i have put out for the rains to wash in

at least it was ridiculously hot again in the sun room

*add pics later*

managed to order some viridis seeds just now

and the guy I bought viridis leaf cutting from said he would send me some viridis seeds too and made yet another awesome international magickal plant dude friend

and spent all night writing to an amazing new contact in Ecuador very excitedly finding images ...and they have lots of virola there!!

...and Diplopterys carbrerana that they don't use, apparently; growing around them , the Quechua / Kechwa

and only sell surplus to requirements and know plants just by picture (and have different names for them :) )

I was determined today and put my cactus accelerator back on and switched it to virola, psychotria,- and reached for the sky for the hard to gets like tetrapterys methistica and diplopterys carbrerana

I have had no bounce back from one other Virola seller so im excited until they either bounce it back saying too early again or they arrive and I pot them uppp

also pending are some Virola sebifera from EU that may or may not be fresh, cant get an answer still but at least there's more options now

I am happy to announce I rooted levanter, pomegranade and Louisa cuttings

• Like 1

Hi All, I have just joined this forum this week and want to share my experiences with everyone here as am building my collection back up again since I arrived in New Zealand from the UK, and as you can all see from my first post here, I already have some plants to talk about. Sadly I had to leave them behind as you are not allowed to bring plants over here.

I have tried to contact the "community moderater" with no success as when I try to look up the members list I get this! Any one know how I can get past this shit? :uzi: "

Sorry, you don't have permission for that! :BANGHEAD2:
  • Like 1

its a new - thing I only just shook it off myself , I think I joined about 2months-ish ago so it's not long, I just kept posting and

and uploading gallery pics till it changed and then went back and edited as much as I could recall

Welcome to the forum and hope you find it as awesome as I did

Thank you Thunder Horse :) I Shall post some pics soon myself. Happy growing.

• Like 1

Always a pleasure Planthunter

today I bought 3 caapi cielo cuttings and searched for banisteriopsis muricata and alicia anisopetala seeds to gift to the Kwechwa

in return for virolas and tetrapterys methistica if they can find it and diplopterys carbrerana

I also funnily enough , was invited to go help them find all three and more and set up an ethnobotanicals farm on a piece of rainforest somebody is buying there too, I'm still trying to see if I was dreaming..

nope ..

looks like I'm going to have to plan a visit

I found another virola supplier too who got back to me within the day also might be able to get validus :)

still the letter box hasn't given birth to a pack of virola seeds from nicaragua for 2 years but it should be any time now... and might even be with a surinamese twin :)

I bought trouts's pdf pedro book and sst

bought 10 entada rheedii seeds to try again with ...

thought about trying again with acacia victoriae (fkn fungus gnats slew my only germination from new year time)

I went through my growing list and noted it down :

Acacia:
acuminata x1 - 4"

bailyana purpurea x1 - 3'

confusa x1 - 18"
dealbata subsp' alpina - 2'

floribunda- 1 seedling

maidenii x3 - 18"

mearnsii- still trying to germinate

obtusifolia- 1 seedling

podalyriifolia, died in winter before installing extra heating in the sun room

simplicifolia x 3 - 18"

victoriae - died

Alicia anisopetala x4 - 6"max

Aloe barbadensis x 2

Argyrea nervosa x 1 - 6'

Artemesia:
vulgaris - still dormant

absinthum - still dormant

Azadirachta indica 2x - 8" 1 possibly about to snuff it

Aztekium:
hintonii - own roots
ritterii - 2 grafted

Banisteriopsis:

caapi:
'cielo' cutting -rooted- died
bought 3 more
'tunkunaka' x2 - 10" seedlings

muricata - 3 germinated, one died, others about to make second leaf growth

Brugmansia:
suaveolans x2 - 24" (one cut back hard now)

versicolor x1 - 24" - died, was a pink flower form seemed succeptible to every pest there was, a bit like datura metel is for mites..

Calea zacatechichi x4 - 24"

Coffea arabica x1 - 7"

Datura metel x4 seedlings from my own harvested seeds last year - 4"

Entada rheedi - no luck germinating yet, more seeds bought

Hemia:
salicifolia - died

myrtifolia x1 - 24"

Hylocereus:
costaricensis x1 - 4" and many seedlings

undatus x 4 - 10"

Latua pubiflora -died

Lophophora:
williamsii - and own harvest seedlings and different varieties seedlings

williamsii caespitosa La Pérdida Mexico
jourdaniana
echinata diffusa
fricci

Melissa officinalis all waking up

Mimosa:
ophthalmocentra - 3 seedlings about to make their 5th set of leaf growth

pudica x6 - 4"

scabrella x1 - 24"

tenuiflora x2 - 6' , just pruned down to 3 and 4' (1 yr old)

Nelumbo nucifera - eaten by L128 Hemiancistrus sp' -blue phantom plec' in the aquarium

Nepeta cataria

Nicotiana:
rustica x1 - 10"

tabaccum x4 - 30"

Oncidium cebellota x1 - 8"

Passiflora:
amethyst x1 - 5'

caerula x1 - 60' cut to stump

Peganum harmala

Pelecyphora:
aseliformis
pseudopectinata

strobiliformis
valdeziana

Psychotria:
carthagenensis/alba x6 - 24"

nervosa x1 - 16"

Viridis - 3 large rooted leaf cuttings in 8 sections
unknown rooted stem cuttng - possibly a different viridis, was bought in uk as one though which usually means it isn't a viridis
very firm leaves indeed!

Rivea Corymbosa - died

Ruta graveolans

Salvia:
divinorum -3'+

officinalis x1 - 30"

Sassafras albidum - 4" coming to life after being cut back since was in terrible shape when I bought it

Silene capensis x2 - 7"

Solanum dulcamera - 4'
Theobroma cacao - 18"

Trichocereus: - The one's I'm planning to flower , so may have fresh seed in the distant future..
bolivianus - 9 germinated seedlings

bridgesii many cultivars and forms and hybrid seedlings
chilensis - 4 varieties - 5 if you include trichocereus skottsbergii
Colossus

cuzcoensis
fulvilanus / deserticola
huanucoensis seedlings and hybrid seedlings
Juul's giant and hybrid seedlings
knuthianus

macrogonus and hybrid seedlings

pachanoi - many cultivars and hybrid seedlings

peruvianus-6 cultivars inc KK242 Matucana
scopulicola

skottsbergii
spachianus
tacaquirensis subsp' taquimbalensis
tacaquirensis seedlings - 10
taquimbalensis seedlings - 30

terscheckii

terscheckii Cardón Valle Fertil San Huan x 3 - 5"

terscheckii with incurved top spines like on a werdermannianus/ taquimbalensis
terscheckii spineless - 20 seedlings
validus cutting on it's way that I bought for my birthday last week that hasn't arrived yet
validus seedlings and hybrid seedlings with many including lumberjackus

werdermannianus 2 different varieties - seedlings and juveniles

Turnera diffusa x4 - 2"

Voacanga africana x1 - 15"

I just bought virola seeds from 2 other, different sources, none have arrived yet though

and some viridis seeds to try with from usa and australia

I wondered if I should be growing tabernanthe iboga ..

I watered the rainforest box with old aquarium water, and because I had 80 litres of it spare, watered everything else too

I sprayed everything with horticultural soap

pruned the lower leaves and un needed sprouts from the trunks of my brugmansia suaveolans

potted up my validusXechinopsis into the next size up

potted up the hamamelis virginiana

think I may have found a different psychotria in with my carthagenensis all sold as viridis

it's definitely not a viridis , but it doesn't appear to be carthagenensis either, perhaps alba isn't carthagenensis after all?

I'll know when they flower I guess

checked everything very closely .... :) no mites , no sciariad fly , no pests or nuthin , no fungus ...zip , finally.

Planted a root bound Turnera.subulata in the ground. Planted a root bound Cereus.peruvianus in the ground. White oiled different Psychotria.sp, is it just me or is Nexus prone to scale of what :uzi:. Got the last of my Psychotria leaf cuttings outta their humidity tent. Stared at my cactus patch for a while, stroking the new growth whilst humming a lullaby... :wub: Ok, i'm gonna stop before it gets weird. I should mention I did all of this whilst wearing no pants...no seriously. :P

• Like 2

Rats.

Well I packed up the carnage from my very own greenhouse disaster.

No more greenhouse-dwelling, cactus-loving bogfrog. So I did this awesome mushroom rain dance a few days ago..and then it rained ALOT ...torrential rain for two days and two nights.... tooooo much rain, all the water collected in the roof of my tunnel house and the weight of it snapped all the plastic connectors and the roof caved in.

Kaput. Finito. Dead. Totally un-salvageable :(

Luckily I didn't loose any thing too precious..just my favourite place to be but I guess I just gotta roll with the punches. Out with the old in with the new and whatnot.

• Like 1