The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
qualia

statute barred infringement

so i just found out that if an unpaid infringement is not referred to court within 12 months then it becomes statute-barred and essentially the infringement monies can't be reclaimed (info for vic, but seems to be the case in nsw as well).

so does anyone know if there is a limitation once it's been referred to court?

Once it's in the Perin court, it will get only stay with them a couple of months before they refer it to the sherrif's office. The Perin Court is pretty efficient and I doubt they'd miss passing a case on the the Sherrif's.

I did a short stint about ten years ago working for Tennix (which was the company processing speeding tickets - soul draining work) and at that time, the period was five years after being referred to the Sherrif's office that warrants would be removed from the register. I don't think it meant that they actually disappeared, but that the Sherrif's office would not actively pursue those warrants more than five years old.

After working there, I did my very best to evade a few warrants from parking fines myself - did really well for about 4 years and 9 months when a couple of sherrifs rocked into my wife's work (she had used my car and parked it out the front of her building) and told her they had business with me and wouldn't let her access the car until she had got me on the phone. Smarmy bastards didn't tell her what it was about so she and all her workmates thought I'd got into some criminal trouble, given the sherrifs dress pretty much the same as cops. Ended up having to cough up fifteen hundred bucks just so my wife could get home.

Moral of the story. Respect the fuzz and the fake fuzz and do what they tell you, including paying $100 for parking out the front of your own house for 2 minutes in a spot that you're not meant to.

I'm not bitter.

To my knowledge 12 months is the limit to commence proceedings. After that there is no limit but law must be administered in a "timely" manner. Note: IANAL.