The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Bird in the greenhouse

I am putting in here, because the GH has cacti and little else.

At first I thought it had accidentally imprisoned itself inside and couldn't get out. I let it out, but it seems as if it likes the warmer temps inside and I suspect it has laid birth inside too in the corner where it could hide it..

I am not sure if its a sparrow or a swallow.

I was thinking that apart from the occasional bird shit, I would not have to worry a lot about them. I even thought they might eat hoppers thus protect me, even though the hoppers haven't shown they like to eat the cacti while they where inside during warmer weather.

I haven't had problem with snails, but I thought a bird would be ideal with this too.

Should I worry? Could birds like this eat seedlings???

And then it struck me: wouldn't they eat the seeds produced by cacti?

Any opinions / experiences would be very helpful

• Like 1

It sounds like a swallow , they eat only insects .Have you seen its nest? Usually they build a nest made of mud up high in a corner or a ledge . Some pics would be cool.

• Like 1

Sounds like a lovely greenhouse visitor.

I would expect that getting to any cacti seed would be quite difficult for a bird and its spindley little legs.

Maybe you could put a clear plastic cup over any developing fruit that you really would be heartbroken to loose.. Just in case.

yeah I begin to like it. they used to say they bring good luck. and heck i had it home and now I have it the gh! good omen! lol

I think its nested under some stacked stuff. I could ruin it if I try to uncover it.

we used to have these mud-made nest you say in corners at home, many years ago...

Edited by mutant

I just hope it doesn't get too hot for the bird in the greenhouse, and any large bodies of water could cause it to drown if it came for a drink. If its a swallow, they know when they are on to a good thing and will usually nest in the same spot each season.

I recently took a photo of some baby swallows... Nice birds. :)

post-7430-0-65076800-1355868403_thumb.jp

baby swallows.jpg

baby swallows.jpg

• Like 5

^^^^

awesome

not too hot, we got winter here now

no large bodies of water too, so all good!