The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest reville

Bulk KAVA

Guest reville

I was wondering if anyone would like to help me get hold of a bag of kava

Im interested in the bags that you can pick up from stores that cater for pacific ethnicities - ive seen photos but never been able to get them

please e-mail me if you can get it for me - and ill send you the money and postage

the health food shops have been rather unhelpful here

thanks rev

Guest UV1

I've bought Kava powder from the sort of shops you mentioned. Was quite expensive 500grams=$10. Nothing on display , had to ask for it specifically. Both places that sold it were run by Indian Fijians.

So if you didnt go into the shop personally and ask for it they may deny selling the product. It ofcourse isn't illegal but some of the shop owners act as if it is.

If they don't have fresh powder only buy the roots and mash them yourself. Kava powder seems to lose it's potency quickly inreguards to it's intoxicating abilities. It would still probably be fine for mild anxiety.

[This message has been edited by UV1 (edited 31 August 2000).]

Guest reville

thanks for the info

Th reason i ask for some east coast help is that there isnt a decent sized pacific community in perth and there really is no where to look

I was hoping someone from sydney or brisbane could lend me a hand

500g for $10 is fine to me

i appreciate the comments on freshness

Guest Ramon

UV1 can you confirm that you paid $10 for 500 grams.

This seems very cheap compared to the prices I can find.

International bulk prices are around US$4-5 (AU$7-9) per kilo. This involves quantities of hundreds of kilos and does not include the licensing fees now required in australia. Bulkl distributors in australia charge around AU$ 30-120 per kilo, depending very much on the quality and the greed factor.

As all kava now needs to be imported under license, and the distribution for pleasure effects is more or less prohibited, the prices keep going up and the quality goes down.

I will do some searching in pacific shops in Sydney in a couple of weeks to see what the situation is there.

Guest UV1

It would seem things have changed for the worst since I was last a kava drinker, about 2 years ago.

I"ll check prices in the near future.

Hi all, Western Australia seems to be one of the strictest in regards to Kava although I don't think you can bring it into the Northern Territory at all. From what I have been told a West Aussie can buy it in Australia but if they want to import for personal use from overseas then you will need to get permission from the WA Health Department and after that you can apply for a licence from a special Kava Treaties department (or something like that) for a licence to import. They also told me that because I am not an ethnic Kava user I will not likely get permission from the WA Health Department. Is this descrimination I wonder?

The rules for Kava are very strict compared to alcohol yet which will be more harmful to the community.

Hope you manage to get some reville

Later

the situation down here seems to be $45-50/kg, from the two shops i've checked,

for "A grade" powder

if anyone is interested, email me for the shop details

happiness

ea

Guest UV1

Someone should look at personal importation.

I was talking to a Fijian friend about kava(grog as he calls it). His brother imports it, when I mentioned I was paying $15 for 500 grams he thought I was getting well and trully ripped off. Unfortunatly he won't get or buy any from his brother as they're not on speaking terms and only gets to consume it on family occasions such as his brothers birthday a couple of months ago.

Guest Ramon

The stuff I bought was $10 for 200 grams

The type was called waka grade. Which I was told meant that it was from the root of the plant. This is the strongest. The man in the shop told me that generally non Fijians go for this grade.

The other grade was the same price but consisted of the root and stem (I think )

I tried it once and gave it up.

I can't stomach the taste.

Guest Pigdog

I might have to try this shit sometime since I hear so much about it smile.gif

doesn't it just get you basically pissed though? If so, heard of beer? smile.gif

--Pigdog

Guest UV1

No, it's physical effects are similar to alcohol as far as heavy limbs and difficulty/inability to walk, however the mind remains clear and the effects are somewhat speed like in it's pschological effects. Time passes very quickly and you'll find yourself talking and being interested in whatever is being said in the conversaton for hours. It's somewhat eurphoric.

haha wow kava sounds awesome. how would someone from perth/western australia even get ahold of such a thing? (without traveling)

haha wow kava sounds awesome. how would someone from perth/western australia even get ahold of such a thing? (without traveling)

get a mate who is coming back from a pacific island to bring you back some (2kg limit), get thompsons kava capsules from your health food store or grow a kava plant

get a mate who is coming back from a pacific island to bring you back some (2kg limit), get thompsons kava capsules from your health food store or grow a kava plant

I recently had a discussion on the topic of bring kava back on your person. I was informed that you can no longer do this and they gave the example of some friends that had 1/2 kg of kava taken from them by customs upon return to Australia. This was about 2 months ago. I insisted that that shouldn't have happened but law changes all the time. Whats the current stand on this anyone know?

2kg per adult can be brought into the country... for some obscure reason this has been allowed,'for cultural practices' to be able to continue in those cultures where kava is a big thing... i don't really get this law? It pretty much means that if kava is part of your cultural tradition you need to leave the country in order to bring back 2kg of it.. you can't order it in from O.S afaik. weird

http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/druginfo/drugs/drugfacts/kava2.html#legal