The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hypnotoad

WTB Giant Avocado Seeds

I saw an avocado as big as a rockmelon the other day but the lady wouldnt let me have the seed. Can anyone help? Money or trade.

reed ?? the seed wont grow the same tree if its a graft?? i work on avo farm [6600 trees] there r sum seed trees that we grow to sell to a local nursery to graft hass! the fruit on these trees r also fuken huge! round thin smooth green skin! also it can b an old skool x guatemalen??????

It was a round one, not the pear shaped ones. I saw it in northern nsw.

Edited by gunfighter

reed is round like a ball!!!

http://urbanacres.wo...timate-avocado/

Reeds are definitely round and huge.

Found this one on Ebay but its in Brisbane and seed grown so not sure if the Reeds need to be grafted for "health , growth strength" etc.

http://www.ebay.com....1#ht_500wt_1120

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 1

I think you would not really need a graft as the genetics are in the fruit it will still produce a reed avocado. The graft is more

to produce a known variety in commercial cropping.

Edited by bigred82
  • Like 1

Just wether a Reeds grow a strong tree that set fruit well on its own roots, a lot of stone fruit and citrus yield is heavily influenced by the stock its on, not to mention disease resistance etc.

• Like 2

we use reed and sharwil as a root stock cause these trees grow huge and hav a massive root system then we graft hass ! reed grow well stillman but they have a thin skin<> bugs smash them up big time!!!!

gunfighter could also b a lamb hass but i dont think they grow well down south!

sum pics @ work! possum nest with baby ! lookin over the farm 12 metres up!! my cherry picker lookin down arrrr

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

if you have a lot of space than, grow a few trees from seed, and wait, 5 to7 years, some of the seedlings, will produce good fruit, than cull the non producing trees.

but actualy grafting, them is not too difficult, i had some success, even trying out this for the first time, using a wedge graft.

some people use seeds of trees, which are said to be more, phytophthora resistant.

avo = yummy & healthy!

this plant i grew from a seed from work ! ''mexican x guatemaen'' the mother tree is over 100 years old !

believe it or not, i have seen a few avocado trees, in england, surviving an outdoor planting, crazy.

the tree's even flowerd, but i think, successfull fruit setting is highly unlikely.

i heard of fruting avo trees in tasmania, wau yeah, go for it, all of you!!

believe it or not, i have seen a few avocado trees, in england, surviving an outdoor planting, crazy.

the tree's even flowerd, but i think, successfull fruit setting is highly unlikely.

i heard of fruting avo trees in tasmania, wau yeah, go for it, all of you!!

yeah hass will grow in cold conditions! there are huge farms on the sunnycoast hinterland and when temp gos under 8 degrees they set cocktail fruit which r small and has no seed<<> belthorpe is the highest point on the blackall range fuken cold and wet in winter but wont crop till november where down the hill the avos crop in june!

chek out this pic i took last year @ a farm in bellthorpe

• Like 1