The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
cactuscarl

what determines spine length

Hi all does anyone know what determines spine length? A few of my cacti are shooting ridiculously long spines twice the length of last year. My psychoO has a pup with 10-12cm spines where as the stock spines are about 7cm. One of the cuttings I took off it is shooting away and the spines are about 2cm, weird. The one with short spines is in a different location so I'm assuming that's why the spines are shorter but the other hasn't been moved for over two years

Genetics and growing conditions. Apparently a cactus grows longer spines in a sunnier position - it's suggested it's to create shade.

• Like 1

I thought i remember reading that high amounts of water will make tricho`s throw longer spines

dont know if this is true tho..

Edited by spacemonk

For sure sun exposure is the single most potent variable, from what I've seen - more sun = longer spines..

• Like 1

I found the trichos in my hot house have ridiculous spines compared to the same stock in shade, I thought it might be a stress "mechanism" because in my case its not just sunny its 10 degrees hotter with 25% humidity added.

• Like 1