The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
klip247

Salvia Divinorum 'NZ Strain'

A New Zealand salvia.d grower possibly discovers a new 'strain'. The plant appears to be growing in a patch of s.divinorum has a square stem but slender leaves.

Any ideas what it might be?

http://northlandsalv...-northland.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhcvCAgYMAc

Video Caption

I was weeding my grow house, clearing the weeds as part of my spring cleanup before the anticipated growth spurt that occurs this time of year..

I was about to pull a large 'weed' out of the ground.

I paused briefly & saw that the stem was the same as the other salvia plants surrounding it, yet this one was unique in that the leaves were much different in shape.

The salvia divinorum has been flowering each year for the last 3 years & I have allowed the seeds to lie where they fall.

Could this be a new and adapted strain acclimatizing to its outdoor environment here in the Far North, Hokianga New Zealand ?

Have just placed some photos of the new strain on my blog link to this video.

The leaves of this 'new salvia divinorum strain' are much narrower, longer and corrugated compared to the predominant strain growing around it.

It seems to have a much longer petiole (the stalk of a leaf, attaching the blade to the stem) than the salvia divinorum clones I have growing.

There also appears to be a 'pronounced droop' at the end of the mature leaves.

This 'new strain' seems to be thriving with a rich green pigment and healthy appearance compared to its more scraggily counterparts.

It appears this 'new strain' is better adapted to the subtropical environment here. I grow year round, outside, without any temperature or environmental controls other than the shade cloth covered grow house structure.

I can confirm it is psychoactive.

I've subsequently done a closer visual of this entire grow area & found another unusual looking plant today at the far end of the grow house, well away from where I found the first one.

It has the same characteristics as the one in the video. The stem shouts out 'salvia divinorum' to me but again, the leaves are very different to my sally d clones growing around it.

All Comments Welcomed on this.

Edited by klip247
  • Like 4

Interesting.. My only guess would be that the self-sown plant is displaying unique characteristics because it is a 'fresh start', therefore able to express the intrisnic genetic variability that a clone cannot.

I wonder if the grower had plants from several sources?

I would love to obtain a cutting if they ever propogate it!

If I remember my last correspondence with them all their plants were from the same clone, they seemed to have no trouble getting flowers each year and I think even seeds.

Woohoo!

• Like 2

after all seeds are always rare and hard to get. I guess the patch were all clones, but surely there is the possibility of mutants growing between

I had a mutant twig on my Mitragyna, years ago, with three leaves instead of 2 on each node, but it wasn't possible to isolate it...

Edited by mindperformer