The Corroboree
Sallubrious

Queensland crackdown on synthetics

Woeful as it is to quote yahoo news.

A few will need to know, they are saying they want it through by the end of the year.

From yahoo.com

People who use or traffic synthetic drugs to get high, thinking they're outsmarting police, will soon face the full force of the law in Queensland.

Synthetics, which are manufactured to have a similar pharmaceutical effect but are chemically different to illegal substances, are now a mainstay on the drug circuit.

Just last week police seized $150,000 worth of synthetic drugs from 17 businesses and homes in southeast Queensland.

But Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie says authorities are losing the battle and are finding it "virtually impossible" to prosecute.

He wants new laws introduced by the end of the year to close existing loopholes.

Currently to be charged, police have to satisfy that the drug has a substantially similar chemical make-up of an illicit drug and a substantially similar pharmaceutical affect on a user.

Mr Bleijie wants police to be able to just satisfy one of those criteria and secondly toughen up the second part to say the drug has just an "intention" to have a substantially similar affect on a user.

A new offence would also be introduced, which would draw a maximum 20-year jail sentence, for trafficking in certain chemicals or utensils.

"The law hasn't kept pace with the manufactures," Mr Bleijie said.

"I think the time is right right now to try to get ahead of this because we have a situation right now in Queensland where I have a real worry that the traffickers are winning the message in terms of these are safer for you."

Synthetic drugs are often cheaper and easier to buy than illicit substances but their makeup and effects are often unknown.

Police are seeing people become psychotic and violent once taking them.

Edited to fix the abortion I made out of the title

Edited by SallyD

personally I can't stand happy high herbs and anyone selling "safe" party alternatives. I don't trust the labeling and a lot of what is labeled is very vague and even if they mention the ingredients they seldom give you the exact quantities of what's been used.

In my job I have seen parents buy their kids synthetic cannabis thinking it was a safer alternative because it was legal (I worked with this family a year a go) my thoughts were that it was new and no one knew the long term effects and to stick to what you know but at the end of the day it's just my opinon and opinons are like arseholes = )

safe alternitives pffft = )

• Like 2

i see no potential for this law to be abused.

• Like 1

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2012/s3636300.htm

These drugs that are hitting our streets now are really - are turning into people into zombies and they're going into shops, they're robbing stores, they have no idea where they are, who they are because of these synthetic drugs.

thanks to the qld-ag for putting it all into context, they're simply trying to stave off the zombie apocalypse.

well done qld.

• Like 3

The labour government had such a bill last year, but they then lost the election and it was dumped. The libs can probably get this bill up very quickly because they'll just copy the labour bill.

9168294.jpg
  • Like 2

I don't want all plants or substances legal, once they are legal the government will have control over them, meaning what's in them and at what quantities if you get my drift. keep it underground lol