The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
lucid1

Iochroma australis in Australia?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody knew of Iochroma australis in Australia or in general.

It looks like a beautiful plant. It kind of looks like a hybrid between a Brugmansia and a Iochroma eg. larger flower than Iochroma, but smaller plant than Brugmansia.

It has shifted names in the past, being under Dunalia australis and Acnistus australis. It is native to Argentina or Bolivia supposedley.

ATM AQUIS has the plant listed as OK to import seed, but recently I had some seized by them with the reason there wasn't enough info on this plant to allow it into australia, as far as my research goes it is Ok to bring in, so im a little confused as to the right info.

Like alot of solanaceae it has withanolides, but not tropane alkaloids.

If anyone has some more info on this plant would be great and also possibley interesting....

Cheers

note; I tried to add a pic of the plant but hasn't worked

Edited by lucid1
  • Like 1

note; I tried to add a pic of the plant but hasn't worked

try again, to upload your pic, we wanna c it.

plenty of tips around, how to upload...

Here is the photo i had found

post-6834-0-09260900-1352842418_thumb.jp

post-6834-0-09260900-1352842418_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-09260900-1352842418_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have a couple of Dunalias which should appear in the shop this season sometime. Can't remember the species at the moment. That image is a little deceptive. I don't think those flowers are much bigger than iochroma. Maybe a little more flared, but also shorter.

It is legal to import, so the labelling must have been incorrect. The name must match the ICON entry exactly.

• Like 1

Yeah, the image can be deceptive but i can't really find much info about the plant in general.

The flower is suposed to be about 5-7cm length from what i have read. So kind of in between the larger Brugsmansia flowers and thinner Iochroma.

Dunalia spinosa is an intersesting pant also i think.

As far as i know the labelling was correct, ah well might try again then..

I has a seller labell a packet of Dunalia seeds exactly as listed in the Schedule and AQIS still took it out of the batch of packets, and sent me a rude letter saying that they were not permitted. I even had the seller include a copy of the relevant page from the schedule for AQIS' convenience.

Not happy Jan.

:angry:

The only Dunalia listed on ICON is a synonym of the prohibited Vassobia breviflora, so if the seed was labelled Dunalia then it wold ahve been rejected.

if the packet is clearly labelled exactly as the listing on ICON then you can ring them and argue your point. Often it was just because the AQIS clerk typed it in wrong and rejected it on the basis of his own error. If you can show the item is permitted then it will be released immediately - while you are still on the phone.

just planted sum of these babiez! i also have the white flowering form

• Like 1

here is an old pic bout 6 weeks old of mine

• Like 1

they look really healthy mate. well done

• Like 1

I pre-treated my I. australis with GA-3 and have been giving it nice high humidity. Been about 2.5 weeks and nothing so far. Any tips on germination? I have more seeds to play with as well.

I pre-treated my I. australis with GA-3 and have been giving it nice high humidity. Been about 2.5 weeks and nothing so far. Any tips on germination? I have more seeds to play with as well.

give it more time, and make sure you give the medium some, wet and dry cycles, or even fluctuating temperature.

i didnt treat my seeds just sowed them very shallow and put a zip bag over the pot and sat it near a sunny window . mist spraying every second day!! it was in summer and it was very fucken hot and humid! it took around 3 weeks <> the seeds were fresh as!!!

pics of mine now , fuken dog smashed them up but they r doin ok!!!!!!

now my 1st flower

• Like 1

my alba