The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
klip247

Wanted: Brugmansia Pollen

I'm after some pollen to fertilize a brugmansia (sacred sunset) which is close to blooming, would like to get some interesting crosses out of this so let me know what you have available... I don't have anything to trade except the seeds if all goes well.

I can send you some 'double white' pollen, I got some just about to flower.

I'd be well delighted with some seeds when it all goes good.

Hi Klip,

I harvested the stamens off some of my trumpets yesterday.

They are drying out at the moment, its quite damp air here this weekend.

There doesnt appear to be a great deal of pollen on them, I am thinking that I may need to cut the flowers up a little earlier to catch the pollen before it falls off the stamen.

I have never collected pollen from a brug before, it was actually the first time I bothered to disect a flower. They have quite an interesting arrangement, very protective.

If you have any special techneque, let me know.

peace

cornilius maximus

Hi Cornilius,

Double white x sacred sunset, sounds like a nice combo to me! I'm keen to give this a try.

To be honest with you, I don't have any experience hand pollinating brugmansia, this will be a first for me.

Looking around on the net I found a tutorial worth following: http://www.trumpetfl...ls-trumpets.htm you might find the first bit useful if your just collecting the pollen, if your interested, I can send some pollen over to you when this brugmansia begins to flower, should actually bloom in a week or two.

Edited by klip247

LMAo...this is almost scary timing klip. I just harvested my first ever brug pod (crossed by me) not 4 days ago.

It is a Brugmansia candida X 'Double white' Flora Penna cross Brugmansia 'Sacred Sunset". Some of the seeds were much bigger than others, and the seed pod looked nothing like the pics of how a candida pod should look....much fatter, but still with the length of a candida pod.

Hand pollinated - first attempt ever at brugs, so they cant be that hard ;)

Pics up very soon!

Can grab you pollen of sacred sunset, the double white candida, or a candida 'hot pink'. Let me know. Peace

EDIT: Im assuming the 'sacred sunset' must be a sauvelens(maybe even aurea), as its genetics made the pod much fatter, and the sacred sunset flowers are usually at about 65degree angle(sauvlenlens if im right? Torsten? lol)

Darkspark....got any idea what the 'sacred sunset' is species wise?

Edited by 2Deep2Handle

2deep, I think you are right on about the 'sacred sunset' being a suaveolens, source: http://www.brugmansi...ars.html/_/1197 there is also another website with a list of cultivars, sacred sunset is in there but doesn't specify what it is exactly: http://ibrugs.com/of...ltivar-list.htm

PMd! A cross with the candida 'hot pink' or 'double white' would be interesting.

How long did you have to wait for the seeds to reach maturity?

Edited by klip247

lol man waiting for my pod to ripen up seemed like an eternity!....i think it was actually probably closer t0 3-3.5 months. Formed quite quickly (maybe 2 weeks), but then took forever to ripen, and i didnt remove it, until it started browning and shrivelling of its own accord. Wanted to get it off just in case it managed to rot inside its own flesh.

Brug fruit for breakfast anyone?