The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
qualia

is it bad to cut out the growing centre of a loph?

not sure what you would call it, the apex (i'll refer to it as such even if it's wrong)?

difficult to see from this photo, but only slightly the apex (just noticed it today, wouldn't have been there for more than a day or two), could be insects i guess not sure, but it's orange and soft on the base so i guess it's rot too. also notice the orange spots on the roots, rot as well? what should i do about it?

post-8276-0-87369400-1351653433_thumb.pn

post-8276-0-10216600-1351653468_thumb.pn

post-8276-0-75897600-1351653395_thumb.pn

post-8276-0-68938300-1351653360_thumb.pn

basalrot1.png

rootspot1.png

rottop.png

rottp2.png

basalrot1.png

rootspot1.png

rottop.png

rottp2.png

the orangish colour on the side doesnt look to bad to me it definately looks like it could recover without much help

im a bit confused by the top it almost looks like something has eaten some little holes in there

you could always chop it and graft the top and hope the bottom survives and repups

i cut the entire top head out of this caespitosa and a majority of its root system as it had some kinda rot orange corky fungi thing growing in its main root, it survived,& is slowly making a recovery with healthy pups but signs of the disease are still apparent on one side,ive just decided to leave it and let nature take its course...yours doesnt look so bad i would make a small slice with a razor and see if the inner tissue is rotting if its nice and green & healthy inside with no signs of rot then just put some sulphur on the small incision and let nature do its thing...

post-8648-0-55601000-1351655616_thumb.jp

post-8648-0-55601000-1351655616_thumb.jpg

post-8648-0-55601000-1351655616_thumb.jpg

Edited by applesnail
  • Like 1

SWIM had a mouse eat half of a LW of his. It didnt seem to be growing at all. yes h got the center of it. Swim thought the plant was lost anyways so he Cut what was left of the the grren part off the roots, just leaving a little green.he took the large piece of cacti and grafted it onto a tricho. Now this cacti has regrown the center and has 2 very small pups on it.

The root now has 5 pups on it. I dont think thats a great as 1 large cacti but it already has a nice root system it took at least 9 weeks before these pups appeared.

Not everything bad happened out of this

Looks like a healthy plant to me?

I'll tell u what will kill a Loph quicker than any Plant pest and disease and that is you fussing over it ;)

• Like 1

Looks like a healthy plant to me also the roots lookgood, i havent enlarged the pics but if the growth tip i damaged etc you will induce pupping lol. The discoloration at base is imo normal. I have lophs doing well that are just like that but sunburnt and purple but healthy :) i wouldnt be cuting into it you might introduce a bigger problem, ok i enlarged ur photos the plant looks clean and healthy to me.

Edited by evil