The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Heretic

Teo's grafting book ; superglue ?

• Hi , I've been trying to check out Teo's grafting book . One link leads to a Russian [ ? ] site ; another to a US govt site that closed down that particular link . . . . My question is how is super glue used in grafting ? ,.Anybody know ?

• Like 1

some people will put a small spot or 2 on there to hold the graft in place

sometimes theyll also go around the edge where they meet once the 2 pieces are together

its not a necessary thing ive never used it and im sure most people dont do it

if your going to do it just make sure you dont get it all over the vascular rings otherwise it will seal it and it wont take

iv used it once, it was good for a couple of days until the graft took off and separated from the glue and the peres, graft worked fine but i dont want to damage it by scratching the glue off.

thank you for the info . not something I would do - I,ve had success by using rubber bands for that .

I've used it many times. Helped in intances when the Peresk was not not sticky enough to hold the grafted seedling.Or when I tried some weird grafts.....

Personally I don't bother with super glue it is a waste of time, plants and money, plus it is toxic to you and your plants. Plain old stockings or if you need humidity plastic cling wrap work much better. For bigger scions just use sinkers attached to rigid sports injury tape.

my2cents

HN

Actually superglue is not toxic to the human body per se (that is when you don't breathe the fumes - which are mildly toxic), and it's often used for sealing flesh wounds. To be accurate though, they use a more inert member of the cyanoacrylate family for suturing wounds, than the one you get in the $2 packet of superglue. I still keep some superglue in my survival first aid kit tor small wounds on the hands and where a bandage would be awkward.

Either way though, superglue is not very good for grafting in general. It might be useful as a kind of "spot-weld" for tiny seedlings though, but I haven't tried that yet.

Secondly OP, I noticed that your avatar is from King Crimson - legit! :P

Edited by CβL
  • Like 1

it was good to hold it for a few days and seal the joint, but now its broken away and looks a bit ugly.

post-9044-0-84718600-1350208695_thumb.jp

post-9044-0-84718600-1350208695_thumb.jpg

post-9044-0-84718600-1350208695_thumb.jpg