The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
TheExplorer

One for you guys in Adelaide

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aldinga-beach/other-stuff-for-sale/various-cactus-cacti-for-sale/1007625708

Looks like there is a Tricho or two here, maybe even something worthy of a group buy. I really want to know what the beast in the middle is but the owner can't provide pictures as he is away from the property.

• Like 5

I would love to get my hands on some of those big columns not just the trich's :drool2: I think the postage would be a little excessive. :P

Cheers

Got

Hi TheExplorer, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I took a ute to this property instead of the cactus society spring show. The owner was really nice and was keen to be rid of all the cactus...

Unfortunately, someone had beaten me to it, and got the T. pasacana in the front yard which was the plant I most wanted, for $300. It was an absolute beauty. I wouldn't have been able to pay that much. That person also got two large ferocactus (with the apical meristems damaged) and a huge golden barrel, and a large cleistocactus.

I got to choose from the rest and scored two Cleistocactus spp., something unknown and two large T. bridgessii, for $150. That is actually more than I would have liked to pay but when I made the offer I thought it was including the golden barrel which turned out to be sold. $150 is quite a lot for me to spend on cactus since most I have acquired absolutely for free. That, and it took about three hours to dig em all out of the ground.

There is still two large PC pedros and many spachianus. There is also the mother of all stenocereus/maginocereus marginatus that was an impossibility to handle, but I might go back and have a go sometime but this thing was just phenomenally huge and heavy.

All in all not a bad day. The brigessii is interesting, could be Bruce, could be Eileen, doesn't exactly look like either it's anyone's guess.

TheExplorer, I will send you a cutting of this plant if you want, since you posted the add here. Just be mindful that the turn around time for me to post things is incredibly ridiculous, it may take a couple of months. But PM me your address and I'll get around to it just be patient.

For people in adelaide, the owner is leaving the add up, so if you want PC pedro, spachianus or a few other random stuff, get in touch, you'll get them for a steal. But there is no bridgessii, no pasacana and none of the interesting non-trich species left.

If any other adelaideans are super keen, I have two 90-100cm cuttings of the bridgessii that are not absolutely critical to me (third and fifth from the left in the photo). I'll sell them for $60 each preferrably to two separate people, to cover the cost of a day driving and digging up cactus. I will deliver these cuttings to you personally. Or you can trade me for something i don't have. But i don't mind either way they'll all get planted otherwise.

Cheers, Micro

DSC07360.JPG

DSC07365.JPG

• Like 1

Interested!

Pm'ed.

I'm glad someone went and checked it out! I really thought the big one in the middle might have been a scop due to the size and shape... Sounds like you got a pretty good deal though mate. And that cutting on the right looks crazy, I don't think I've ever seen a cactus go from 4/5 ribs to 8/9 ribs almost instantly. Anyways, I'll PM you about that offer.

Edit: Oh and it doesn't look like Bruce or Eileen to me, but it does look like another clone from VIC/SA that grows extremely fat and goes semi-monstrose. May not be the same one but it looks very familiar. I'll post pics when I am back on my comp.

Edited by TheExplorer

No scops there. It is pretty insane what that particular arm is doing isn't it? None of the others show that sort of randomness, but it is cool. I agree it's not Bruce or Eileen either, the spination is much different lower down. There is an enormous variety of bridgessiis in Aus, of already established plants above and beyond what is being grown out from seed. They are not markedly different, just enough to separate them.

Also, one of the cuttings has been spoken for.